Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Quote for 9/30

Post Thanks / Like

Post Quote for 9/30

"BREAM

While crappie are the char of the sunfish world, bream are the trouts! Although limited in size, these intelligent insect-feeders are made for the fly fisher. They meet all the criteria of first-class game fish and are more than worthy of the serious angler's attention. There are eight species of bream that concern us. The bluegill is the star of the show, sharing center stage with the redear. The less common longear is similar to the bluegill in all respects but the redbreast and pumpkinseed seem to prefer cooler waters and are found only in creeks and tail waters along the Gulf Coast where I fish. Although the green sunfish, warmouth, and rock bass will readily take a dry and feed on insects at least part of the time, they don't match the bluegill and other smallmouthed bream in either stamina or degree of angling challenge."

The Sunfishes, pg.4-5
    By Jack Ellis

Note: I do not always share the view of those being quoted as previously noted. Specks (Crappie, Calico, Speckled Perch both white and black) are great game fish especially on the supper table and they are very challenging to me. Here where I live in Florida, in addition to Bluegill and Shellcracker (Redear), we also have the occasional Redbreast and Longear (in this case a different species from Redbreast), Warmouth, Stumpknockers (Spotted Sunfish), and Fliers. We do not have Green Sunfish, Rock Bass, and many other species found further north possibly even in areas of North Florida. See link below.

http://www.floridafisheries.com/Fishes/panfish.html
    Last edited by dixieangler; 09-30-2006 at 09:30 AM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"