Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: what a bug hatch going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Default what a bug hatch going on.

Fished the Missouri for a while sunday but couldn't fish were we wanted too. The moth hatch was unreal. There was swarms along the edge of the river. Wanted to fish some rocks but that impossible. They just swarmed you when you was near the bank. They would crawl all over you and go down your shirt. Tried OFF but that didn't help. I think they liked it. Did find a couple of spots along mud banks were they were tollerable. They had casings stuck to the mud and rocks every where. They didn't look like the mayflies we see hatch over there. A lot smaller and more aggravating. We did end up catching 12 dinky catfish. Oh well it was a good day on the water bugs not included. On a side note the surface temp on the Missouri has dropped 5 degrees. husband floated the Bourbeuse saturday for the first time this year and he said the water was cool. Usually this time of year it is really warm and has slimy moss in it. Ok so now the water temp on the Missouri has dropped, the water in our local river is cool for this time of year, the hummingbirds are going CRAZY feeding. A sign that summer is over. Maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish flies is what we were told they were. Paddling 340 miles down the river I bet I ingested 30,000 of those things, skipped two meals because of it. Not bad in the day, but at dusk, night, and just before daylight they were so dense in places that my head, arms, and torso was literally covered by the time I exited a cloud of them. No bites, but irritating all the same. Several times I had to close my eyes or look down and just watch the gps with squinted eyes and paddle like mad until I was out of them. The river rats they had working the safety boats said it is the worst hatch they could remember.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

what a hoot, bugs in the boat,never heard the term fish flies, got a picture of them?

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, they are small white/grey moth/fly looking thing. Maybe 1/8 to 3/16th inch. Billions of them.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Googled it. Wiki has a good description. They do indicate that the habitat is reasonably tolerable so that is good. They are thick around the Great Lakes and even have a festival..

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, head nets are a river rats best friend, right now. and safety glasses for the run back to the ramp are sweet, too! congrats on getting a few kitty cats. were any of em big enough to bring home?

Post Thanks / Like

Paddled.with a.few that had nets. Next time I will have clear glasses for night time.

Post Thanks / Like

Only 1 big enough to bring home. Turned him back loose before we left. The rest was dinks. The river is coming up so it should wash all the bugs stuff along the edges away..