Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you use these small rubber bands for?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you use these small rubber bands for?

I recently bought a tackle box at a Pawn shop and along with some soft plastics I found a small plastic baggie filled with /small rubber bands, About as big around as a pencil eraser. Any idea of what they are used for ?Name:  002.jpg
Views: 4730
Size:  26.0 KB

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Some guys use them for rigging plastic worms wacky style. Put band over worm down to middle, hook your hook through the band, cast out with no weight. Jerk pause retrieve causes worm to bend in the middle then straighten out. Keeps from tearing worm up when setting hook and fighting fish.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks a bunch :-)

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cray is correct, but they're also used to make a regular open hook jig into a weedless jig.

They're likely dental rubber bands, used with braces. I happen to have a box full, well 1/2 full, of them ... that I got from a coworker that wore braces (after the braces were removed). The idea was to make regular jigs weedless with them, but I never really put them to use to any degree.

The idea is to push the rubber band through the jig eye, loop it over itself, then pull the band to the hook barb. Another way is to simply stretch it between the line eye & hook barb. The rubber band acts as a weedguard, and releases when the hook penetrates the fish. The biggest problem I saw with them, was that they would only work on jigs with a hook size larger than a #4 ... & a #4 hook was the most common size on commercially made jigs (which is what I was using at the time I got the rubber bands, some 20+ years ago).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Man cray u basin now.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Did nothing but bass fish up until about 7-8 years ago. Just crappie fished now and agin with single pole. Got tennis elbow in left arm and couldn't hold a rod when one hit. Got that straightened out then right shoulder went to giving me fits and couldn't cast all day. Started learning to spider andfoind out crappie fishing is way more fun and not near as Hard on the wore out body
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

also used to make a banjo minnow weedless......

Post Thanks / Like

I had both kids and the wife in braces at the same time some years ago so these things were around the house everywhere. I used them as a weedguard when fishing large grubs and tubes on 3/16 jig heads for smallmouth (as described by crappiepappy above). They worked pretty well!

Post Thanks / Like

Well thanks for the info. Now that i know I can put them to use :-)

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

look like orthodontic bands
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast