PDA

View Full Version : 2013 - 2014 SLABFEST - slabtogether

flycaster
08-04-2013, 10:46 AM
October 12, 2013 - - - - - - - Lake Monroe Fish till 1 PM. Cook - - POINTS RACE
November 16, 2013 - - - - - - - Lake Harney - - Fish Till 3 PM - - NO COOK OUT -- slabtogether - - POINTS RACE changed 9-10-2013
December 14, 2013 - - - - - - - Astor, FL Fish 3 PM - - NO COOK OUT --slabtogether - - POINTS RACE
January 11, 2014 - -- - - - - - - Crescent Lake - - Fish til 3 PM - - NO COOK OUT - - slabtogether - - POINTS RACE
January 18, 2014 RESCHEDULED Crescent Lake - - Fish till 3 PM - - NO COOK OUT -- slabtogether - - POINTS DATE CHANGE due to CRAPPIE USA schedule
February 15, 2014 - - - - - - - Lake Griffin State Park - - Fish till 1 PM - - Cook - - POINTS RACE
March 15, 2014 - RELOCATED from- Lake Woodruff TO GILBERT PARK, Mt. DORA Fish till 3 PM - - NO COOK OUT -- slabtogether - - POINTS RACE changed 01-05-2014. Poll conducted on line concluded 01-04-14 - - - 10 votes = Gilbert Park, 6 votes = Astor, Lake Woodruff, Lake Dexter. 3 votes = Lake Jessup.
April 12, 2014 - - - - - - - - - - Lake Monroe - - CLASSIC - - Fish till 1 PM - - FOOD CATERED

Trophies to be awarded at each event for 1st place: Heaviest weight for 5 crappie fish.
Trophies to be awarded at each event for 2nd place Heaviest weight for 5 crappie fish
Trophies to be awarded at each event for 3nd place Heaviest weight for 5 crappie fish
Trophies to be awarded at each event for Heaviest weight for 1 crappie fish
Donations accepted and door prizes @ October and February Slabfests
Points race= 5 best events
Official weigh-in at 3PM on all non-cookout events and prizes awarded.

Any volunteers to secure the site at each event?????

We are not asking for you to outlay any expense out of your pocket, just verify that we will have access to launch and retrieve boats.
We have chosen two new lakes, Lake Woodruff and Lake Harney.

There was discussions about having "fruit jar" events, they will not have any effect on the suggested schedule.

Speckanator
08-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Sounds great to me...can't wait to get started. The February 15th slabfest at Lake Griffin State Park hopefully will be a camping event also. They have a great camping area that can accommodate any type of camping. So plan your vacation around it and breakout the camping gear. We were there last year for several days along with 65pontiac, billbob and slab and had some good fellowship and meals around the campfire every night. Gave us a good chance to do some quality pre-fishing....dat's a big lake. Also, with last years new 10" limit there will probably be some quality fish caught.

65pontiac
08-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Looks good :ThumbsUp :ThumbsUp

TnT
08-04-2013, 05:10 PM
For the past 2-3 years, Crappie USA have held their tournament at Crescent on the 3rd Saturday of January. Their schedule hasn't been posted as of today, but Darrell told me it should be posted any day now. Gonna be tough to find a parking place at the ramps if they hold their tourney that day....Just an FYI!!!

Speckanator
08-04-2013, 05:32 PM
For the past 2-3 years, Crappie USA have held their tournament at Crescent on the 3rd Saturday of January. Their schedule hasn't been posted as of today, but Darrell told me it should be posted any day now. Gonna be tough to find a parking place at the ramps if they hold their tourney that day....Just an FYI!!!

We're flexible if that happens or we might just get there earlier than them!:Rofl

65pontiac
08-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Isn't woodruff and astors the same thing. :dono

flycaster
08-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Lake Woodruff is a lake, along with Lake Dexter. I don't think that the river runs thru it.:dono

Astor is directly on the St Johns River, north of Route 44.

Speckanator
08-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Isn't woodruff and astors the same thing. :dono
Maybe huntinslabs, crappielover or crappieday will be our guide to Woodruff. I think there's a launch in Deleon Spgs. or you can get there by the river.

specktacklure
08-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Woodruff cab be accessed by the St Johns from SR 44 boat ramp(white hair bridge) or you can put in at Highland Park ($3 ramp fee but thay have camping/cabins). Gettin there from Deleon or Tedders depends on the water level which seems to be always low up there & can be changed by the wind. We were up there last week just pleasure boatin and couldn't even get to the springs, water was about 8-10 inches deep goin into Spring Garden Lake & there is a sand bar goin into the run from spring garden to woodruff that is hard to get by depending on water levels. You would think with all this rain the water level would be higher but no so.

65pontiac
08-05-2013, 02:37 AM
So would it not be better to go by the way of St. Johns and Lake Dexter? And Astor boat ramp would be closer.

65pontiac
08-05-2013, 02:39 AM
So would it not be better to go by the way of St. Johns and Lake Dexter? Which would make the ramp at Astor closer.

specktacklure
08-05-2013, 10:39 AM
So would it not be better to go by the way of St. Johns and Lake Dexter? Which would make the ramp at Astor closer.

Prolly for you, yes - puttin in at Astor & runnin south would be closer & fishin Dexter may be better than Woodruff depending on water levels. I forget what channel marker # but if coming from the south you can cut over from the St Johns behind Mud Tick Island & go right into Woodruff without having to go all the way up & back through Dexter. I will prolly put in at Highland Park to avoid the public at the SR 44 ramp, plus they will have minners right there if needed.

Speckanator
08-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Anyone have any info on Welaka Lodge ........... Welaka Lodge & Resort (http://welakalodge.com/) It's on the north end of Little Lake George. I'm planning a trip up there and check it out.

huntinslabs
08-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Depends on where the weigh in is gonna be. The ramp at Highland Park unless renovated since last december is single ramp with no staging. Launch and leave, return and leave. I would probably launch at Whitehair and trailer over to Highland park for weigh in and fish the river. It is a long slow ride from Woodruff to highland park itself much less from astor all the way down and back up to go home.

specktacklure
08-05-2013, 08:35 PM
I forgot all about the weigh in location:Doh:, yes that does depend - I just got excited about goin fishin:fish

Speckanator
08-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Sounds like woodruff may not be feasible............can always substitute another lake

specktacklure
08-05-2013, 09:22 PM
It would fun & challenging but it's a fairly good run to a decent ramp, not like Monroe where you put in & go around the corner & your on the lake

flycaster
08-06-2013, 04:56 AM
Sounds like woodruff may not be feasible............can always substitute another lake

Maybe we need to go and explore?????

Speckanator
08-06-2013, 06:05 AM
There's plenty of other places to go..............Yale, Dorr, Jessup, Beresford, George, Little George, Santa Fe...........and I'm sure there's more

65pontiac
08-06-2013, 06:40 AM
What happened to Lake Dora? :dono

65pontiac
08-06-2013, 06:43 AM
With Astor on the schedule you have lake george, lake dexter and woodruff to fish.

SlowRideStu
08-06-2013, 03:43 PM
doing 90,000-120,000 miles a year in Florida sometimes allows me to scope out some boat ramps.

Blue Cypress could support a large launch and crowd.

Lake Marian has a very nice launch facility

Toho huge launch facility

Kissimmee chain / Polk county is loaded with launches, most unknown to me right now.

Walk-on-Water looks to have facilities enought for a larger launch crowd

Lake George / Astor sounds like a great addition to explore this year

Harney awesome..........

Anyone ever catch anything other then large bass out of the Butler chain? (late opening launch facilities)

We can NEVER hammer Crescent too much............. but you can hammer the Harris chain to death :(

nice ideas, steps in the right directions.

specktacklure
08-06-2013, 06:06 PM
We can NEVER hammer Crescent too much

:ThumbsUp

65pontiac
08-06-2013, 07:28 PM

:ThumbsUp:ThumbsUp

x racer
08-06-2013, 07:47 PM
What happened to Lake Dora? :dono
That was a real nice park.im ready to fish and explore some new water.

TnT
08-07-2013, 09:53 AM

:ThumbsUp:ThumbsUp

:ThumbsUp:ThumbsUp:ThumbsUp

Crappielover
08-07-2013, 07:16 PM
I think the points made about Highland's Fish Camp on Woodruff are valid enough. It is about 8-10 minutes to get to the lake thru the Norris Dead River from Highland's launch...and the entire way you're hoping to dodge the manatees.
There is another ramp option (Powell's)($5.00) on Dexter just South of Astor. I have launched there many, many times...oh and they have minnows too. The advantage here is having access to Dexter and a quick ride across the lake you can fish Woodruff. Also, you may ride North and fish giant George, or you can just stick around and fish the St. Johns River itself. I believe parking can accommodate around 15-20 trailers, but I've never counted because there is usually only about 5 or 6 trailers in use when I'm there.
I swear, sometimes talking about fishing is as much fun as the actual fishing itself for me. :)

Speck Detector
08-07-2013, 08:17 PM
That's one top notch line-up! :HandsClapping I only hope Harney saves a few biggin's for March, alot of :fishpressure early season every year.

Speckanator
08-07-2013, 08:24 PM
That's one top notch line-up! :HandsClapping I only hope Harney saves a few biggin's for March, alot of :fishpressure early season every year.
Harney in November?:twocents

Speck Detector
08-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Woody should not be over-looked, the Norris dead river out to Woodruff really rocks around February-March.

Speckanator
08-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Got some exciting stuff coming up for the October slabfest........Be posting about it soon!:deadhorse Hope everyone plans to attend!!:fish

Crappiegirl1
08-13-2013, 07:38 PM
im so anxious ill probably already be there when you get there. :fish:angel:

specktacklure
08-14-2013, 09:03 AM
GIT IT, GO, GONE - I be ready too.

chuckauten
08-15-2013, 06:06 AM
Is anyone excited? Here I thought the Florida CC members were boring.:Rofl Hey, you gals and guys reading but not posting, you should really plan on joining us at a fantastic weekend. You will not only learn a lot, but meet some of the greatest fishermen. This is a yearly event that should never be missed.

flycaster
09-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Notified that CRAPPIE USA has on their schedule a tournament on Crescent Lake the weekend of January 18, 2014. :banghead
With the number of participants in their events, the motels should be booked to capacity, the eating establishments busy and the ramps/parking facilities jammed packed.
We have rescheduled our event to the weekend prior to the CRAPPIE USA event, which will be January 11, 2014.:Rofl
Please change your calendars to reflect the change. We will be reminding everyone about this change at the upcoming events.:twocents

specktacklure
09-09-2013, 08:08 PM
While your talkin about a rescedule are you leavin the Nov slabtogether like it is or switchin
it to March & makin the Nov one at Harney?

TnT
09-09-2013, 08:26 PM
I have plans for the 18th, so this works out good for me...Looking forward to seeing everyone at Crescent in January!!!:cheers2

flycaster
09-10-2013, 06:13 PM
While your talkin about a rescedule are you leavin the Nov slabtogether like it is or switchin
it to March & makin the Nov one at Harney?

Changed the schedule to reflect your input. Did I remember that you were going to host the one at Harney????

Speckanator
09-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Changed the schedule to reflect your input. Did I remember that you were going to host the one at Harney????

That's what I recall too!! All you have to do is get us into the lake............show us where to catch em'................ and buy us lunch at the hungry gator!:Rofl

specktacklure
09-11-2013, 12:06 PM
:yikeswhoa, we need a memory check :Rofl If you need a host I will help, put your boat in at the ramp, catch fish in the lake & lunch is on some dude they call billbob:Rofl

65pontiac
09-24-2013, 06:00 AM
Got some exciting stuff coming up for the October slabfest........Be posting about it soon!:deadhorse Hope everyone plans to attend!!:fish

Still waiting. :dono :Rofl :Rofl

specktacklure
09-24-2013, 10:01 AM
:popcorn:popcorn

Speckanator
09-24-2013, 10:29 AM

specktacklure
09-24-2013, 11:13 AM
OK I'll just wait until the slabfest & you can give it to me then:Rofl

65pontiac
09-24-2013, 12:16 PM
137811 :Rofl :Rofl :Rofl

TnT
09-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Still waiting. :dono :Rofl :Rofl

:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn

flycaster
09-30-2013, 05:43 PM
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/florida/262159-2013-october-slabfest-3.html Thread # 27

TnT
09-30-2013, 06:56 PM
OK...I thought Speckanator had came up with something...That was a spooky thought:yikes

flycaster
09-30-2013, 07:03 PM
OK...I thought Speckanator had came up with something...That was a spooky thought:yikes

This was something that speckanator was working in tandem with Slab.

Speckanator
09-30-2013, 07:56 PM
We also have ............. fish finder, tournament fish bag, gift certificate, landing net, baits and jigs, baits and jigs (new sponsor) and too much more to list!!!!

SlowRideStu
10-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Nice swag :)

If this has been asked please forgive me..........been awhile since my last outing on Harney so this may be moot...... is the south end of the lake going into the river still shallow? are the pvc poles still the ballpark area of where your boat needs to be to get through? I remember seeing all sorts of folks, including myself having issues that year.....maybe 2010? ish. Any insights / recommendations appreciated........... Great selection on Harney :)

Speckanator
10-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Nice swag :)

If this has been asked please forgive me..........been awhile since my last outing on Harney so this may be moot...... is the south end of the lake going into the river still shallow? are the pvc poles still the ballpark area of where your boat needs to be to get through? I remember seeing all sorts of folks, including myself having issues that year.....maybe 2010? ish. Any insights / recommendations appreciated........... Great selection on Harney :)

The river's up 3 to 4' so getting into Harney from the south end will ok I'm sure. Not sure about the poles being there.

SlowRideStu
10-04-2013, 07:55 PM
high water = happy happy happy :) Talquin to Harney ......... cant wait!

Speckanator
11-17-2013, 11:00 AM
I know it's early but we need t start planning the February 15th slabfest at Lake Griffin State Park. I'll be going to Leesburg tomorrow and reserving the pavilion. We need to start thinking about sponsors and donations for our drawing also. A few of us will be camping at the park Welcome to Florida State Parks (http://www.floridastateparks.org/lakegriffin/) and if anyone else is thinking about camping you probably need to make reservations now.