Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is Tanners Creek?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where is Tanners Creek?

I'm hoping to make a trip there next weekend and have never been. In fact, I've never fished a river in my life. Is this place between Aurora & Lawrenceburg Indiana? I can't seem to find anything on it at DNR's site, and only a few references to it on the web with only 1 site giving me any idea of it's location.

This site here is about all I can find in regards to location: Tanners Creek, Dearborn County, Indiana, USA - Maps, Photos, Weather, Local Links

But that doesn't tell me anything about where I can launch etc. I took a peek to see if I could find last years tournament info, and if it's there I must have passed over it. Closest I can find by scouring a satellite photo (no joke) and going up the Ohio River would be on "Tanners Creek Drive". That the place I'm looking for?

Anyone got a site map, directions to a ramp - anything?

Post Thanks / Like

It's in Lawrenceburg on US 50 right by the McDonald's and little Ceasar's pizza, kinda tucked in behind Lowes. Tanners creek drive. There is a real nice boat dock there which channels out to the ohio..I work in Lburg and launch outta Tanners all the time, if you have any problems give me a shout ;-)
    Last edited by David Schneider; 08-03-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    It's just about being out there, doing what you enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

The McDonald's address is 860 West Eads Parkway Lawrenceburg IN 47025... If u go there you can't miss it...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you David!

Post Thanks / Like

No prob! Bite has been slow on stumps, seems to shut off completely mid day... been doing ok with minnows on bobber rig on downside of current towards the mouth of the creek 4-6 foot of water ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back a couple hours ago (had to take a nap). I was shocked at the amount of cover available in Tanners. We went way upstream to see just how far we could go. Gave up because it just kept going and proceeded to meander our way downstream fishing anything. While we could see them on the submerged brush, we couldn't get them to hit. Anything that did bite, was small and near the shore and were caught by casting curly tailed grubs.

So we proceeded to the river, and being new there we blew a quarter tank of gasoline running up and down river. We decided to stop and fish an island in the middle of the river. (Head right out of Tanners Creek onto the Ohio). I'd guess 3 miles down river? Anyways, there are probably 50 big trees lodged in a jam on the point of this island. It was loaded with fish. But we found the current to be a bit stiff and I'm assuming that's because it had to split to go around this big island. We tied off to one of the trees and jigged as well as tightlined with a huge weight. We had quite a bit of luck, but still nothing huge. 10-12" was the average size, which is decent for frying up. (Though we didn't keep anything from the river - didn't trust it)

Anyways, all in all, no luck in any of the creeks except one big slab in the dock area that is smack in the middle of the town Aurora. If you trust eating fish from the river, then the point with all the jammed logs/trees on that island are a good place to start.

Figured I'd let all of you know, since we won't be able to attend the tournament. (Oh, didn't have a KY fishing license so we didn't check out anything on that side of the river)

Post Thanks / Like

That about sums it up....lol welcome to river fishin

Post Thanks / Like

driving1 hr 32 min with traffic
    near I-74 E, Indianapolis, IN 46239

• Depart I-74 E / US-421 S

• 69.6 mi
      At exit 164, take ramp right for IN-1 toward Lawrenceburg / Saint Leon

• 0.2 mi
      Turn right onto IN-1

Pass BP in 0.1 mi
    • 14.3 mi
      Turn left to stay on IN-1 / Belleview Ave

• 0.3 mi
      Turn right onto US-50 / Eads Pkwy

AmeriStop on the corner
    • 2.3 mi
      Bear right onto US-50 W / W Eads Pkwy

• 0.4 mi
      Bear right onto US-50 / W Eads Pkwy

• 0.9 mi
      Turn left onto Reese Dr / Tanner's Creek Dr

Mobil on the corner
    • 0.4 mi
      Arrive at near Reese Dr, Lawrenceburg, IN 47025

The last intersection is US-50 / W Eads Pkwy

Bnear Reese Dr, Lawrenceburg, IN 47025
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><

Post Thanks / Like

there is a lot of creeks to fish, and they all have good crappies, not sure were to fish no need to leave Tanners creek... it is over 10 miles long with more standing timber, more stumps & lay downs then you fish in a week... it has good water for trolling...

PS. as you come in the lot there is 2 sets of ramps, use the one on your right...
    the ones on the far left have very little to no water...
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><

Post Thanks / Like

We found Tanners last Saturday to be some pretty tough fishing. There were a few guys hauling Smallmouth bass that looked pretty sweet. The ramp you spoke of (on the right) had 3 ft of water. I was worried. But 10 feet back of the boat it dropped to 14ft. The name of the road on mapquest, magellen etc., calls it Reese drive. But noticed the street sign says "Tanners Creek Dr". I suppose it's one in the same and either name will get you there. Looking forward to going back and hitting up some of those smallies myself.

I was surprised to see some people flying down the creek. But (and lets hope) they know it well enough to be able to do that. Unless I lived there, no way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast