Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anyone use Color-C-Lector?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone use Color-C-Lector?

Just curious if anyone uses this and their thoughts on it.

http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklesto...e.cfm?PID=2916

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have one of the older modles . keep forgiting to carry it. when i do i am fishing with minnows .don`t have enough room in my boat for every thing . now have a pontoon so i will use it more .
    they will work but you will need to put it the depth the crappie are feeding or suspended .it will show what they can see best at the depth you have it .
    retired and now i will always fish

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Tap .....

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64
    Just curious if anyone uses this and their thoughts on it.

http://www.landbigfish.com/tacklesto...e.cfm?PID=2916
    No, I don't have that particular version. But I do still have an 'original' Combo-C-Lector (color selector/pH meter/temp guage). Like this one:

I used it fairly religiously, when I first purchased it ... but, soon found myself spending more time "using" it, than fishing. And, for the most part, it generally told me to use blu/char or blk/char ... which were already proven color combinations for my local waters, anyway. I never bothered using the pH meter ... and the temp guage was not a big help, either. I had previously owned the original Color-C-Lector, but sold it and "upgraded" to the combo unit. That was back in my early Bass tournament days ... and I thought I needed the "edge". Neither unit proved to be of any great benefit, in my case ... and the Combo-C-Lector is now only a novelty item, that I take out and use once in a great while, just for kicks.

The "concept" of a "color selector" is sound ... it's just a light meter, that shows what colors are most visible in selected depths/water clarity/light penetration. My problem with them, is that Crappie don't always seem to want the most visible colors :D .... that, and by the time I probe the depths of the area I'm checking on, I could have already cast the area with enough color combinations ... that, if there was a Crappie around, chances are I would have peaked his interest enough to get a reaction, by then. And, in order to get a acurate reading of the color most visible (in the vicinity of the fish), you have to drop the probe right close to them ... because the color selection will change dramatically from sunlit water to shaded water. And you have to get right over top of the fish, with the boat, in order to drop the probe in close proximity. You also need to know how deep the fish are suspended, in order to get the most visible color reading for that depth. I figure, if I know the approx. depth the fish are holding ... I can adjust to a technique that will get my bait in front of them. Figuring out what color they want is only a matter of casting a few select colors/combos. And, I can do both of these .... from a distance ... so as not to spook/alarm the fish.

I'm not saying that they don't work, or don't do what they say they're supposed to do ... they very well may do just that. I just don't think they're any "magic bullet", that will necessarily make a better choice of color than what can be predetermined by the existing conditions. That's just MHO .... take it for what it's worth. ....... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I use the color-selector with PH guide, works pretty good

Post Thanks / Like

I would use mine a lot of times once I found a particular color to be out producing all others say 5 to 1. I used to longline troll up to 8 different color jigs each day I fished until I hit on a hot color for that day. Usually it would be in the Chart./Black/ or Green area but on several occasions Pink out done all the usual colors handsdown. I would drop my Color-C-Lector probe down to the depth at which I was catching the fish that day and geuss what?... Right on Pink!!!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've still got my original model. Haven't used it in quite a while so i dug it out and will take it up to the lake and see what goes. Here's a pic.