Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capps and coleman rig but for jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Capps and coleman rig but for jigs?

Do any of you tie your own capps and coleman rigs but using jigs instead of minnow hooks? Im not really big on using minnows but I would like to see how you all spider rig by just pushing jigs with a capps and coleman rig.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tie my own and put a small Duolock snap on the ends. Fish a pony head I make on bottom and a tied hook called a nat tied by Donnie at Crappielogic on top. That way I can change out colors with out changing complete rig. You can also run bare hook or small jig head on top with plastic.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    I tie my own and put a small Duolock snap on the ends. Fish a pony head I make on bottom and a tied hook called a nat tied by Donnie at Crappielogic on top. That way I can change out colors with out changing complete rig. You can also run bare hook or small jig head on top with plastic.
    X2. I use a size medium fas-nap on a 3-6 inch Huckabee loop knot. I run lots of different minnow/jig combinations and the fas-nap lets me change hooks quickly. I tie two rigs: 1. C&C type rig with an egg sinker between the two loops, and 2. A double rig with a bottom weight. The rig I use depends on how I am fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow, the snaps never came to mind. Good call. Are you still using a 3 way swivel? All I am doing is tying what looks like a Carolina rig with loop knots down. So my barrel sinker is at the top followed by a barrel swivel, then about 10 inches down I tie a loop knot with a jig then about 2 foot more down I tie the final jig. Am I tying these wrong? I know some people have the barrel sinker tied in the middle of the jigs instead of the top like a real capps and coleman rig is but when I thread my line through the barrel sinker a few times to hold it fast it seems like I break off a lot of times when I hook a fairly large bass right there where the line was looped through the barrel sinker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobothewizard View Post
    Oh wow, the snaps never came to mind. Good call. Are you still using a 3 way swivel? All I am doing is tying what looks like a Carolina rig with loop knots down. So my barrel sinker is at the top followed by a barrel swivel, then about 10 inches down I tie a loop knot with a jig then about 2 foot more down I tie the final jig. Am I tying these wrong? I know some people have the barrel sinker tied in the middle of the jigs instead of the top like a real capps and coleman rig is but when I thread my line through the barrel sinker a few times to hold it fast it seems like I break off a lot of times when I hook a fairly large bass right there where the line was looped through the barrel sinker.
    The way you are tying your rig will probably work, but I prefer either a middle(C&amp;C style) weight, or a bottom weight to keep everything tight and separated. I imagine you are getting a lot of tangles with the weight above the whole rig. Some of the store bought egg sinkers have sharp edges inside that will cut your line when pressure is applied if you loop the line through. I remedy this by using a small split shot below the sinker instead of wrapping the line through it.

><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, I tie a barrel swivel to my main line, drop about 10 inches and tie my loop with fas-nap, run my sinker up the line and put a small split shot to stop it from sliding, drop 1-2ft depending on depth I am fishing and tie my second loop with fas-nap.

><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh sweet idea with the split show below, that actually give me an idea, I might use a bobber stop below when I put it in the middle. Thanks a bunch for the advice!

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is how I do it. Just throw it in the water wrapped up. With the swivels it will unwrap. This one is tied with a minner critter and an offset hook by Wally Marshall I think. If I fish a jig, I will use a single jig on the bottom, a lighter weight egg sinker with a hook on top.

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 4410
Size:  16.8 KB
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, I never thought of using a second barrel swivel to stop the weight. Also would keep from losing the whole rig if the bottom hook gets snagged. Good idea.

><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

I like the way rcc does it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast