Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over your fishing career, have you caught more day or night?

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Over your fishing career, have you caught more day or night?

For me it would have to be at night. I have fished more nights than days. I could be sleeping like normal folks but I love to fish at night. The only bad thing about it is the best thing about it. Me, the moon, stars, calm water, and my old boat. Very few are on the lake at night and I have ran out of all night fishing partners, so if I have an accident or boat trouble I am all alone.
    I keep an extra trolling battery for nothing but getting back to the launch just to be sure. Now I don't think I will bump my head and fall out to drown, but ya never know. I just tell my wife and kids that if I do go that way, atleast I'll go happy. Lake(insert favorite) is beautiful at night.The moon bouncing softly off the water illuminating,framing a picture worth painting in any direction. The sound of the waves lapping against the boat. The different night creatures you encounter and the sounds they make in the dark. Man I love the lake at night.

Plus the crappie are easier to catch at night for me.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong. I love fishing a great sunrise and sunset. I get one of each on most every trip. I try to be on the water an hour or more before sunset and I don't seem to be able to leave, so I get to fish awhile after sunrise.Who can leave when in the next few minutes the biggest slab you ever caught is going to attack you bait? I can't!

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation love them both ..

but, overall I'd have to say I've caught more during the day ... simply because I've fished more in the day. Spring fishing is always day fishing, for me ... usually from just before daylight till early afternoon. Summer fishing is mostly the same time period, now ... but, earlier in my fishing life, I would fish most of the night by Coleman Lantern or boat dock lights. Fall fishing has always been an "all day" venture. And, what little Winter fishing I get to do, is always on those rare warm & cloudy days (and usually from the bank, casting to secret blowdowns).
    I've want to try night fishing for Crappie, casting a jig under Black Lights (night Bass fishing style) ... but, weather and other circumstances have kept me from doing so. Maybe 2005 will afford me more opportunities to give it a try. ..............cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

If the truth is known, I am much more of a cat man than a purist crappie fisherman and I sometimes catch crappie to find where the cats are (the catfish and crappie are usually not too far apart) and even to use as catfish bait, (where it is legal), so I often fish at night. I like to get up and go at about 3 AM. The best crappie bite is right at dawn and I have read several studies that state the best crappie fishing is during the twilite hours.
    Besides the much better fishing at night, there is much less activity at night (mostly none) and I have the lake to myself. I also think the big fish get used to being pressured in the day and are much easier to be caught at night.
    Yes, I mostly fish by myself at night and I am very much aware of the dangers involved. I alway carry a cell phone and nearly always have a life jacket on. And, I am a night hunter (coon hunter), so, I am used to being out at night by myself. I know for a fact that night fishing for crappie can be very rewarding.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish mostly during the day so that is when I catch most of my fish.

I am still trying to figure out the night fishing business. I am getting there. Ask me this question after the end of next summer and I will let you know if I caught more crappie at night than in the daytime.

I know one thing. I can see a lot better in the day time and don't have any problems telling distances to the shoreline or tying my fishing lines on my baits. Now at night I have a lot more trouble with those two things. And there are not nearly as many mosquitoes during the daylight hours as there are at night.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default mixed bag

I like most fish during the day mostly - so I catch more during the day - but the night trips I have made we have always did pretty good - but my most sucsess has been right at daybreak - we fished last night on Falls Lake near Durham, NC and I check my gps for the peak fishing time and it had from 9:57 pm to 11:57 PM and darn if the bite picked right up and the most of the fish we caught was in that time frame - could be coincidence but I will check it now and record my results to see how it relates to my performance - with me fishing it may not be a fair test as to the blunders I can perform to mess up a good fishing night or day - but I am still fishing
    crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

busting your butt on a frosty dock has nothing to do with fishing blunders. tell the truth on your catches, you know your catch is better when I'm guiding, day or night.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

I can not tell a lie - I have caught more fish under your guidence - especially sinse you put that green light on my side of the boat
    crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Larry-Southern Indiana

Daytime for me. I got other things to do after dark at the camp like party. What else is the weekend for?

I don't have anyone to night fish with anyway and I don't think the wife would like it cause I fish most of the day. Gotta take her out to dinner sat evening at the lake and have a campfire later and relax. Then it's up before daylight and long gone before sunrise. She's used to that routine so why change it?

I've got a great and understanding wife. She knows what my problem is and accepts it. She darn sure doesn't ask for much in return. What else could you ask for?

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    I can not tell a lie - I have caught more fish under your guidence - especially sinse you put that green light on my side of the boat
    crap-king
    That is what my son said until I bought another one for his side. Funny how catching a few makes them think you are at an advantage.Now when I take him or one of the other teens around the area, I have a floating white sealed beam in the middle with a green light submerged on each end of the boat. If it is just me I use the floater and one green.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast