Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clinton

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clinton

Ron, Rick and I,

Saturday cool light wind for most part. Caught fish. All fish deformed. (head to close to tail). Great day to be on the water with to fine gentlemen. Learned some things, maybe enlighten some things. Just A+ day to be on the water and outside. Thanks
    Will do it again thanks Ron and Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great day.
    Life is good today.

Post Thanks / Like

Blackdog,

Any action on the white's or wipers?

Zeepo

Post Thanks / Like

No action with those fished for crappie only though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog40 View Post
    Ron, Rick and I,

Saturday cool light wind for most part. Caught fish. All fish deformed. (head to close to tail). Great day to be on the water with to fine gentlemen. Learned some things, maybe enlighten some things. Just A+ day to be on the water and outside. Thanks
    Will do it again thanks Ron and Rick
    A super fantastic day on the water...Everything was "Short"
    We sure caught good numbers. Ron even caught a few doubles.
    Maybe next time we need to take a tall person
    Thanks for the fun Day guys.
    Rick
    Take a kid fishing--even a old kid

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing at HD Sat. We caught over 30 but only one keeper. The shorts were 7-8" range.

Post Thanks / Like

Drifted the flats last Thursday for cats and caught several in the 5 range, had trouble finding larger shad for bait.

Yesterday trolled the breaks and humps with spinner rigs and slow death w/gulp, no walleye, lots of small cats and drum. Bunch of whites blowing small shad.

Today threw spoons on the breaks and humps, caught a couple whites, drum and a cat. Very little surface activity today, maybe they aren't used to the south wind,hehe. Did hit some tree's for crappie after the boredom of the humps, kept 10 couple were 13", water clarity was good, all on jigs w/nibble. Most fish were caught 4' down in 7 fow, shallowest fish in 5 fow. Orange head, blue/chartreuse body, 1/16th.

Post Thanks / Like

May go after work tonight and see if they surfacing before dark. Always wanted to cast net for shad, is it hard to do and where do you look for the shad at?

Zeepo

Quote Originally Posted by center12 View Post
    Drifted the flats last Thursday for cats and caught several in the 5 range, had trouble finding larger shad for bait.

Yesterday trolled the breaks and humps with spinner rigs and slow death w/gulp, no walleye, lots of small cats and drum. Bunch of whites blowing small shad.

Today threw spoons on the breaks and humps, caught a couple whites, drum and a cat. Very little surface activity today, maybe they aren't used to the south wind,hehe. Did hit some tree's for crappie after the boredom of the humps, kept 10 couple were 13", water clarity was good, all on jigs w/nibble. Most fish were caught 4' down in 7 fow, shallowest fish in 5 fow. Orange head, blue/chartreuse body, 1/16th.

Post Thanks / Like

Lot's of u-tube instruction on how to throw cast nets, pick a technique and see if it works for you. Practice in the yard first, then off the boat deck in open water with a clean bottom.......they hang up on everything from deck to bottom. After the shad spawn the larger shad go roaming in open water, that 8' net don't cover much water out on the flats. Clinton and Perry spillways can be good and lighted boat ramps after dark can also produce, other than that you get'em when you can. Smaller nets are easier to throw but don't believe the reduced coverage is worth the increased accurace, also, buy cheap to start with. Don't like young of the year shad for drifting, they pull off to easy and I don't think they produce near the scent of a big chunk of cut shad. After my walleye fish attempt, I'm thinking a Gulp Killer Crawler on a slow death rig may be the next best thing to cut bait!!!! Good luck if you try a cast net and even more luck if you want to keep them alive in this heat. Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

The 3-4 inch shad work well for me. Can't keep them alive for very long in this heat either. I usually fish them hooked through the nose on a short shank wally bait jig. Score them down the sides with a pocket knife to release the juices. Used to smash them but it makes a big mess in the boat. Those short shanked jigs have surprisingly stout hooks. Have yet to have one straighten out on a heavy fish. I've caught a lot of wipers this way along with blues up into the 20s and low 30s too. Have also scored on nice walleyes this way also, but it's usually later in the fall and using live shad as bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast