Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Horizontal float

Post Thanks / Like

Default Horizontal float

I have been trying to find a float (bobber) for crappie fishing that lies flat in the water then pops up to vertical with a slight nibble. I know they make them but I don't know the brand or what they are called. Anyone know of them or where to get them?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know of a name brand, but could you make one with a regular styrofoam float and a porcupine quill?
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't seen one, though a waggler bobber or quill would possibly do the job. I like the ones with a weight specific bulb in the middle and stick that runs through it. That way when they hit on the rise the float lays over. Keep us posted on what you find though.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Just use a foam/stick bobber.They usually lay flat on the surface unless you have alot of weight(sinker,jigs) on them.I saw some guys last spring using the foam or balsa stick bobbers with one of the little electrical connectors screwed on the tip of the bobber to weight the tip down.
    HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Post Thanks / Like

Float'n'Fly bobbers are weighted so they lay on edge; Bob's Bobbers is one brand. It is pretty easy to make your own, using a standard styrofoam bobber and relocating the weight to the middle (and shortening the spring).

Post Thanks / Like

They are called Rocket Bobbers. They work very well and you can cast them a mile, even into the wind.
    Fishing Tackle for Bass Fishing, Trout Fishing, and more - The Rocket Bobber by Tackle 2000!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your inputs.
    Bugtussie, that is exactly what I'm looking for.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Float'n'Fly bobbers are weighted so they lay on edge; Bob's Bobbers is one brand. It is pretty easy to make your own, using a standard styrofoam bobber and relocating the weight to the middle (and shortening the spring).
    Actually, FnF bobbers are counter weighted to FALL OVER, on a lift bite, not "weighted so they lay on edge". Their whole purpose is to register a "lift bite", by falling over on their side when a fish comes up and takes the jig in their mouth ... taking the weight of the jig off the bobber.

But, yes ... they could work quite the opposite, but you'd have to use a jig or bait rig that was light enough to not cause the bobber to sit in the upright position until the bite occurred.

Whatever type/style of float is used, in order for it to lay horizontal until downward pressure caused it to "stand up", it would have to be top heavy enough to hold however much weight the jig or rig being used had ... without allowing it to be pulled upright by that weight ... until extra weight (downward pull) was added.

My biggest concern with such use of a horizontally lying float, would be that a "lift bite" would be impossible to detect ... the same concern I have over the use of a weighted bobber/float.
    Just one of a few reasons I don't normally use a float/bobber, barring a few exceptions.

... cp

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use slim cigar peg type floats. Best all around float for light strikes IMO. Good for dock shooting too.

Styrofoam types at Wallys work fine. 5 for a dolla or so.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"