Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Yearly family gathering is over for another year.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yearly family gathering is over for another year.

The annual gathering of my father's side is over again for another year. 104 of us from him and his surviving siblings on down gathered at a resort in the Brainerd area for the last full week of July as we have been doing for well more than 40 years, although there were a whole lot fewer of us and we started in the Ottertail area back in the beginning. We kept outgrowing camps or having them sold out from under us. This is the fourth lake we have stayed on since the uncles and aunts joined my parents and have made this week a clan tradition. My father is gone and all of his siblings are now great grand parents, one of them not even married yet when this started to grow. Quite a tradition. One cousin and I with a bit of help from one of my sisters cooked pancakes and eggs for the camp Thursday morning. We did something like 7 or 8 dozen just of the eggs to give some idea of the numbers of us.

Weather was beautiful and the bite was on for most everybody who wanted to fish or swim. Crappies, bluegills and two other sunfish species, rock bass, largemouths, perch walleyes and pike were all taken. No boat was skunked all week long either that I am aware of.

Our sept was only 6 people and three went home a bit early. One had to work and the other two live on the Winnebego reservation in Nebraska and had to get back for Pow Wow. We had just three licenses and we filled them quickly, ate a whole lot of crappies and filled them quick again, ate them up and then again for a total of something like 140 fish in something like only about 40 man hours of fishing. Nearly all the crappies fell in the 9-12" lengths, but my younger sister landed a full 15" one, which we got some pictures of and then she put it back. On this lake, when I run the motor I have what I call a 13" boat rule. That size and larger goes back doing our thing to help maintain the breeding stock. This is the only lake I harvest on and then only for one week out of the middle of summer; so I see nothing wrong with releasing the best fish, while I am there.

For us the ticket was ultralight 4# line and deep jigging 1/32 oz black jig heads and lil hustler inch and a half tubes. Color was important with only a couple of patterns accounting for most of the crappies. By deep I mean as deep as 20'. Holding a boat to allow the little jigs time to get down that deep took some doing, but it paid off mainly for crappies, but we were also able to do that in one mid lake area for perch and a few little walleyes. We kept 4 of the 10 walleyes; the others were just plain too small, and those 4 were barely big enough to fillet as it was. There were also easily 25-30 dink perch at least, none of which we kept. One of the walleyes disgorged a young of the year perch on the cleaning table; so there are definitely year classes of all of them there.

All of our bite was soft, so soft that a lot of our fish were 'just there', especially the crappies with a little up bite, but only one or two good hits all week. My younger sister developed almost a 6th sense about that and she had the hottest hand all week as a result. My brother-in-law didn't have a clue and didn't take many of the crappies either, although he took his share of rockbass, some of them pretty decent for rock bass.

We passed over layers of fish at about 19 or 20' down; so I am guessing that was about where the thermocline was. I watched where there seemed to be exceptional concentrations to jig to, as well as spots I remember from the weeks spent there over the past half a dozen years. Special thanks to whomever mentioned the thermocline last year about this time. It paid dividends for us this year.

Plenty of crappies all around especially as the sun reached the tree tops and started to go down. For this one week out of the year, I get to fish from a boat and drive it, too. I had pretty good luck hovering the boat on the electric or we would never have gotten down that deep with such small baits. Staying in touch with the bottom off drop offs paid the dividends mornings and afternoons. With a lot of the takes on the settle close to the bottom. Only enough movement to stay in touch with the lure was another key - dead slow with very little lateral movement. We did quite a little hunting to find those hover spots, but none of them that produced at all produced only single fish, more likely several including a number of doubles. So some of those spots we worked over pretty good.

We tried for sunnies a couple of times. Finding them was no problem but size was. Nothing beat 8" all week even well off the weedline in deeper water. I took the prize for tiny with a greenie that didn't make two inches on an inch and a half lil hustler.

The 6 of us ate a lot of fish last week, probably 40 or 50, crappies mainly (and sweet corn and fresh tomatoes, and cucumber salad, fried potatoes and both watermelon and cantaloupe). This is one week out of the year that I will harvest, and then we feast on fried fish, which I dearly love, except for the cleaning part which in our families is exclusively men's work.

What we didn't eat were released except for the 6 limits we froze and took home with us. Fishing was mainly low light hours and some afternoons and a couple of short morning outings. There was a lot of napping and dozing in the sun, too; this was vacation after all.

My sister's crappie shared the spot light with an uncle's 26" walleye for best fish of the week. Both were released. A number of cousins' boats also caught some nice largemouths running to at least 4# at times.

Fishing was good, relaxation was good, and now it is over and it is back to normal at home.

The rods are still in the car; so I think I will go fishing this evening.
    Last edited by no1son; 07-28-2013 at 05:27 PM.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report but.....you need some pics of all of this
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry G, my sister has the camera with the pictures, including her slab (and very likely dozens of others from that week, I saw her taking them) and is supposed to Email some of them to me. Unfortunately her computer stopped recognizing the disk from her camera and she works 4 part time jobs to keep body and soul together. I stopped taking local pictures around here when I realized that posting pictures was doing little more than guiding a whole bunch of wannabes to where we were catching, crowding us out. So I just got out of practice myself and quit carrying a camera.

The local places we fish are easily accessible, well known public waters, and it is a free country and all that, but I even work with a couple of guys who will run right over to a body of water if someone publishes a catch. Those guys don't like to come into the city themselves, but hundreds of others definitely will. It is next to impossible to post honest pictures without dramatically editing them, or we may end up moving through 3 or 4 spots just to find a place to fish.

We had one case where my buddy fought and landed a mid to upper 30" musky, which really stirred up the spot we were fishing on 4# line and ultralight tackle; so we decided to move. News of that catch beat us to the next dock. At work I started getting told about the pictures I was posting by coworkers from the suburbs. We talked it over and now we keep what pictures we take on the cell phones and don't post them.

If I get copies of those my sister took over that week, I will put something up, though. A 15" crappie is a nice fish anywhere, especially up here. It was put back, too, breeding stock. For all that it was almost certainly over a dozen years old, it was still in excellent shape not showing any sign of decline.

Post Thanks / Like

Then just post a random brappie photo from a southern state - just edit out the spider rig in the background, or you may have the DNR knocking at your door.

I'm back in ND for a couple days and spent yesterday fishing with the previous director of the National Fish Hatchery out of Valley City. Amazing stories and a nice day of fishing.

After having a monumental day of crappie fishing on Walleye opener this year, I finally got back out last week and took the oldest kid of a single family friend out for some evening crappie fishing in the canoe. I have a big "To Do" list while my wife and son are in Europe through September, but after getting the canoe out again...that list will take a little longer to complete.