Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville....

Fished Smithville today and found it to be a tough bite. We put in at W bridge and went north. It was slow to say the least. We didn't have minnows but fished various jigs from 1/32 - 1/8 oz. including some vintage maribous and BG baby shads in a host of different colors/combos and caught fish on most all of them. The day went like this: Pull up to a likely brush pile, catch a 11" crappie, a 8" and a 2 - 6" dinks. Go to next spot and repeat process. 1 decent crappie was all we could catch at a time and we wound up with a total catch of 13 keepers and worked hard to get those. My adult son and I are new to Smithville and so far it has proved to be a challenge. I suspect that others are not doing great because I see no recent positive posts about good catches. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good day to me.... Thanks for the report. I have not fished Smithville this summer, so I can't give any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Only been twice this year, heading there now. Last weekend a couple fish on most every tree. Depth was bottom to 4 feet..with minnows. Our best luck were in trees 16-20 fow. Sounds like your doing fine.
    Work so I can fish and fish so I can survive work.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Thats kinda how its been going for me this year one or two at a stump and then move on. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you are doing something right, I've been on that lake for a lot of years and still can't find summer fish. Stay with it!

Post Thanks / Like

The Night bite was good for us last night!!!!! Main lake brush piles, two submersible lights...... MINNERS
    FISH ON......... inspired by river monsters around the globe.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by claybuster View Post
    The Night bite was good for us last night!!!!! Main lake brush piles, two submersible lights...... MINNERS
    How did they run size wise? I've been out 3 times in the last 10 days with about a 1-10 ratio of keepers to dinks. Any whites under the lights?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kctrapper View Post
    How did they run size wise? I've been out 3 times in the last 10 days with about a 1-10 ratio of keepers to dinks. Any whites under the lights?
    Our keeper ratio was about 50%, although we did keep a few 9"ers for the most part they were 10-11" with some surprisingly good shoulders........ We checked about four brush piles just before dark and setup on the one with the most fish @ 12fow. It helps to be patient because typically it takes the crappie lights about an hour to start attracting the food chain hierarchy. Good luck and give us a report........... oh yea, no whites or eyes just crappie.
    FISH ON......... inspired by river monsters around the globe.......