Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 tracker pro crappie ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2000 tracker pro crappie ???

I am looking at a 2000 tracker pro crappie,, it looks in real good shape, 40hp motor upgrade he is wanting $5500, what are the pros and cons on these boats,,, I am at ky lake this would be for me and the wife ,, I do like fishing in the fall and early spring down there,, \
    thanks\
    bub
    you can email me at [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

NADA is $4,300-$4,800 with the upgraded outboard. These are the low and average retail values. If it is in excellent condition, bump to 5K. Any additional items don't add much to resale value, unfortunately - but they may be of value to you. Hope this helps!

BTW, they are very good boats - if they didn't have the wood decking and encapsulated transom, they would be great. Hard to get completely over the wood components , IMO.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down jbub ....

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybub
    I am looking at a 2000 tracker pro crappie,, it looks in real good shape, 40hp motor upgrade he is wanting $5500, what are the pros and cons on these boats,,, I am at ky lake this would be for me and the wife ,, I do like fishing in the fall and early spring down there,, \
    thanks\
    bub
    you can email me at [email protected]
    I think the boat is overpriced. And it is definitely UNDERPOWERED. If I am not mistaken, this year/model is rated for a 75HP. How can a 40HP be much of an "upgrade" ?? My fishing partner has a TX17 with a 50HP .... rated for 80HP ... and I can tell you, 50HP is not enough. Tracker sells their boats with the smaller engines, to bring the "sale" price down ... in the hopes that you can be convinced to "upgrade" to a larger motor (at a significantly higher price). I've got a problem with that type of advertising shennanigans .... may be legal, but sounds too much like "bait & switch" tactics, to me.

It may be a good entry level boat ... for someone fishing relatively small waters. But, I don't think I'd be going very far on KY Lake in it. Spring & Fall are usually transition periods, weatherwise, and prone to windy conditions & quickly changing weather patterns. Flatbottom aluminum boats are notorius for being "shallow drafting" (light, and don't set deep in the water) ... so they are easily blown about, by even a nominal wind. The ProCrappie is also a narrow bottomed boat, if memory serves me ... and, therefore, would be a little on the "tippy" side (rocks with internal movement by anglers, or by moderate wave action).

Keep that boat in mind .... but, do some comparison shopping. This time of year, there are a lot of people trying to sell their boats. You may just run up on a better deal. .... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=crappiepappy]Tracker sells their boats with the smaller engines, to bring the "sale" price down ... in the hopes that you can be convinced to "upgrade" to a larger motor (at a significantly higher price). I've got a problem with that type of advertising shennanigans .... may be legal, but sounds too much like "bait & switch" tactics, to me.QUOTE]

Pappy, I have to disagree with you. Sounds like you are just adverse to Tracker, which is ok, but if you are thinking they are pulling a bait and switch, it must be because you don't read the adds very well. They clearly state what motor they are selling on the boat for the price shown, and show the upgraded price with a bigger motor.

It's fair to say that a 25hp motor won't do very well with a 17ft tracker, but they aren't hiding it. For some it would work fine.

I have a 94 pro team with a 40HP motor. It's not a killer boat, but it will plane out with 2 big people in it and do around 27MPH by my GPS. What is your buddy trying to do, and failing with a 50HP that a 80HP is going to do?

Nobody twists your arm to buy a boat, so if you had a bad experience or made a bad decision, that's on you. Deal with it, you can't blame the company you bought it from, when it's your decision and your money.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb mduncan62 ....

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62
    Pappy, I have to disagree with you. Sounds like you are just adverse to Tracker, which is ok, but if you are thinking they are pulling a bait and switch, it must be because you don't read the adds very well. They clearly state what motor they are selling on the boat for the price shown, and show the upgraded price with a bigger motor.
    Yes, I am a little averse to Tracker's advertising methods. But, more so on the neophyte boat buyer's side, not personally. Believe me, I read the ads VERY well, and quite thoroughly. And I've compared them to other brands (on a price vs price & boat/motor specs vs boat/motor specs).

It's fair to say that a 25hp motor won't do very well with a 17ft tracker, but they aren't hiding it. For some it would work fine.
    That's why I mentioned using it on smaller waters. And, no ... they aren't hiding it - they're just using the "price" (w/smaller motor) to draw attention. But, when compared to other brands, comparably equipped with max hp, their prices are basically on the same level. Yet, in a way, they are "hiding" the fact that an underpowered boat will not perform to its potential .... When a boat has a max hp rating of 75hp ... and you advertise/price it with a 25hp ... doesn't that sound a little dubious ??

I have a 94 pro team with a 40HP motor. It's not a killer boat, but it will plane out with 2 big people in it and do around 27MPH by my GPS. What is your buddy trying to do, and failing with a 50HP that a 80HP is going to do?
    Plane out quicker, run faster, and go farther on a tank of gas. Smaller motors don't plane-out the boat at peak lift ... causing greater strain on the motor, and creating greater drag in the water (and lower mpg).

Nobody twists your arm to buy a boat, so if you had a bad experience or made a bad decision, that's on you. Deal with it, you can't blame the company you bought it from, when it's your decision and your money.
    True, no one twists your arm to buy ... but, even the salesmen will tell you, up front, that you probably won't be satisfied with the smaller motor. I've never owned a Tracker, but have fished out of them. For the money, and on a equal boat/motor size basis, I have found G3, Triton, & Xpress boats to be comparable or better (if not, in some cases, superior).

I meant no disrespect to you, your boat, your choice of boats, or johnnybub's choice .... just stating my opinion on the price of this particular boat, my experiences with underpowered rigs (esp on big waters), and my perception of Tracker's pricing methods.
    The fact that we can agree to disagree, in a gentlemanly manner, is what makes this site such a valuable asset to the membership. ....... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

As far as gas mileage in the boat, I couldn't care less. To me going fishing and worrying about gas mileage just doesn't make sense. Owning a boat anyway is totally frivolous in the first place.

I had a 15ft tracker with a 9.9 Johnson, and I took it out on the lake of the Ozarks, and Stockton Lake. Not recommended, but it's what I had. I took that boat out in some of the worst conditions and survived.

I think the better the boat the more spoiled we get. I have heard very few boat owners that wouldn't love to have a different boat, bigger, more HP, etc. My recommendation to anybody buying a used boat is to make sure it's sound and in good mechanical order. If it fits that and the price is right, go for it. My experience is that with that type of boat, you aren't going to get killed if you decide to upgrade.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just stating my opinions.

The bottom line for me is, if I can get where I want to go to fish, and enjoy the outdoors then I have completed my objective. It doesn't matter how fast I get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Mr D ......

you make some valid points, and from your perspective I'd have to agree in principal.
    For me, however, gas milage means a little more. Not so much in the cost factor ... but, more so in the ability to travel greater distances without fear of running out of gas. My previous boat was a 15.5ft fiberglass outfit (trihull front/mod V pad bottom) that weighed about the same as my bud's TX17 ... but, I had a 70HP Yamaha on it (near max hp). Both boats carried 12gal of gas ... but I could get to the fishing spots faster, and more of them, without fear of being stranded or having to carry a spare gas can.
    This is especially true, for me, on lakes like Watts Bar (large reservoirs), because many of the "good spots" are scattered around the lake ... some 5-10mi distant from each other. More speed and better gas milage, means I can cover more distance in less time ... giving me more fishing time, and the option to go to more places in a days fishing. When I'm home, and fishing some of the smaller local waters ... that's not as much of a problem. It's when I'm on the bigger bodies of water, that it matters.

And you're right ... we're not "arguing" about any of this .... we're expressing our (differing) opinions, in a discussion format. That's the whole point of a forum. Thank you for your opinions, and the civility in which you've expressed them.

And to "johnnybub" ....... luck2ya, in whatever route you take .... cp

Post Thanks / Like

What's your current rig pappy?

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation md62 .....

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62
    What's your current rig pappy?
    I don't personally "own" one ... currently. But, I have access to three ... 16ft SeaArk w/50hp Mariner (brothers) ... 17ft Tracker Tx w/50hp Merc (fishing buddy's) ... 2man w/5hp (friend/neighbor of my Mom's, formerly owned by her).
    I'm in the process of getting my bro's boat "repaired" and water worthy. I can borrow my bud's boat any time I want it ... as long as he or his son has no plans to use it. But, using/borrowing it, requires a days forewarning ... so that he can have his vehicles out of the way of me removing it from his garage. I'm trying to get my bro's boat "usable", because I can access it easier (it's in my Mom's driveway) and so that I can make "spur of the moment" decisions to hook up and go.

I still have plans to purchase one of "my own" ... but, am in no hurry to commit. My latest (previous) boat was a 15.5ft Glasstream ProBass-15 ... purchased new in 1984 (w/50hp Merc). Got some bad gas at a local marina, and seized up the Merc. Put a 50hp Evenrude on it, and ran that for a couple of years ... then got into a three way trade out with some angling friends, and ended up with a 1985 70hp Yammy. Sold the outfit last year. Boat was near worthless (rotting wood subfloor/transom) ... but the motor was still strong as ever. Property tax evaluation was around $2100 ... sold it for $1000 (basically the value of the motor).
    Several years ago, I almost bought a 17ft Xpress w/90hp 4stroke Yamaha, for around $12,000 ... but, the "salesman" couldn't close the deal without the dealership owners OK. The dealership is a 3hr round trip drive from my home, and follow-up visits were less than satisfactory ... so the deal never materialized. I still like the boat ... just don't have much respect for the dealership. Current price range, for most any comparable brand, of that size boat/motor ... is around $17,000. So, that's got me comparison shopping ... as well as watching out for a good "used" outfit (that suits me).

My buddy is also on the lookout for a 70-80hp motor, to take the place of his current 50hp ... as well as considering a TM upgrade (his boat currently has my 37# thrust 5speed TM on it) ... probably up to a 50# thrust/variable speed.

Ok .... I know, that's more info than you requested :D .... sorry, I just got in a groove/zone or something ....... cp

Post Thanks / Like

your thoughts of crappie rig 17 foot 1998 ranger with 115 johnson butch
    USS TICONDEROGA CVA14 VA52 1960-1963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast