Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Floater shot in head on Meramac River

Post Thanks / Like

Default Floater shot in head on Meramac River

Post Thanks / Like

dang, ain't nowhere safe anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

They said this morning a landowner shot a floater. The guy that got shot was a regular floater on the river. Him and 40 members of his family where floating and camping. At least that was what I heard on tv this morning. There are nut cases wherever you go and that is scary.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad. One dead, one in jail and a bunch of people who's lives are changed forever. All over where someone chooses to empty their bladder. Attached is a link to the story in the Post Dispatch.

Urinating along Meramec River, dispute over property rights led to fatal shooting, police say : News
    Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and then.......

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!!

Post Thanks / Like

the whole navigable vs. non navigable guessing game is the biggest piece of crap opinion law, etc ever...the state needs to decide once and for all the laws and quit jacking around. ....in Colorado the land owner owns the stream bed and you cannot touch it, anchor in it, etc. in other states, if you are wet you are legal.....these opinions and laws we have are soooooo subjective and hard to prove ...especially on the spot with a beer in your hand....now at the same time, I am not going to hang around with a guy with a gun shooting warning shots at me. I wont be asking a guy to "put the gun down and then we will see who has the power" that's unbelievable and may be the proof that guys needs to get off on self defense...(I guess they didn't have an attorney when that statement got made or a few of the other statements for that matter).........that article will probably not do much for them in their defense...
    Last edited by HuskerCrappie; 07-22-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Kill someone for peeing on your property is absurd! Especially if you back to a popular float destination. What a DA! Drink a beer and watch the bikini's

By the look of the picture....it explains everything.

BTW, I would bet my paycheck that this "Special" person has pee'd on private property at some point in his 59 yrs.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've read and heard, it doesn't sound like the land owner shot the guy for simply pissing on his property. He shot him because after he asked them to leave and they refused, an argument ensued, then the land owner fired warning shots, the floaters decided to pick up rocks whether it be for self defense or for assault, and the end result was one of the floaters not carrying a rock was shot in the face.

I'm not taking sides.

slabho
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day

Post Thanks / Like

I am not taking sides either..as the floater( hard core fly fisherman) I would make every attempt to avoid any contact with any land owner along the rivers always....especially if he is mad...he can have the gravel bar, life is too short to argue over anything let alone a very loose law..., I might have more to lose than him...as a Conceal carry permit holder, I again would make every attempt to flee a confrontation...if i'm in my house and someone wants in to steal stuff, if I can get my family out--its just stuff and they can have it and their life as far as I am concerned, id rather call the police and get out of there rather than stand my ground...shooting someone is a last resort when I am backed into a corner and no other option exists...so it sounds like plenty of blame on both sides... as far as the rivers go, something needs to be done. as a fisherman who takes his son fishing every time, the language, and general level of conduct is anything but a family oriented activity. i'm no prude, I get along with all kinds of people and don't have a problem with most anything, but the alcohol and level of conduct on these rivers anymore, this stuff will happen more often. the trash in those beautiful streams, the loud, drunk, everything is just a problem...heck out west all that screaming and raising hell in wilderness is against the law. the rivers need to be cleaned up and monitored more closely or just shut them down , which would be a great tragedy to all. floaters should be a be able to have a beer and a great time, as should fisherman, but there has to be a base level of conduct... which might come with more oversight. just my 2 cents its worth what you paid for it

Post Thanks / Like

Bad deal all around.

...like your handle.....
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck