Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod for casting tube jigs / jig-n-minnow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod for casting tube jigs / jig-n-minnow

I recently found a new spot on the river with nice slabs, but they spook really easily. I've just been mostly working them with a slip bobber, but once they move it takes me a bit to relocate them. I have a 5'6" Shimano Clarus, but I'm looking for more range on my casts without having to up my jig size.

I'm looking at either ESP 8' lite, ESP 7' power lite, St Croix Panfish 7' lite, or possibly St Croix Elite 7' UL on Craigslist for $150.

My real questions are:
    What length? 7', 8', 9'?
    Should I go Light or Ultra Light?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I'm dealing with. Not monsters, just quality, thick, river crappies.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlackIS300 View Post
    I recently found a new spot on the river with nice slabs, but they spook really easily. I've just been mostly working them with a slip bobber, but once they move it takes me a bit to relocate them. I have a 5'6" Shimano Clarus, but I'm looking for more range on my casts without having to up my jig size.

I'm looking at either ESP 8' lite, ESP 7' power lite, St Croix Panfish 7' lite, or possibly St Croix Elite 7' UL on Craigslist for $150.

My real questions are:
    What length? 7', 8', 9'?
    Should I go Light or Ultra Light?

Thanks.
    You do know that ESP rods have micro-guides & tip eyes ... making the using of slipfloat/bobberstops a problem.

Now, as to action of rod ... I'd say Lite action, fast tapered rods would give you better hookset power at a distance, especially when using a rod of 7' or more.

If I were going to be using slipfloats/bobberstops, and wanted a good rod to use with these rigs ... I'd look at the Float-n-Fly rods at BnM. You have a choice of a short handled 8' rod with balance weights in the end of the handle, or the Tenn handle version in 9' & 10' ( B'n'M Fishing )

And just FYI ...
    I was a fieldtester for the 8' Duckworth Float-n-Fly rod for BnM ... I have two of them, and they're what I use for bobber & slipfloat rigs.
    I was also a fieldtester for ESP ... 5'6" UL -- 6'6" PowerLite -- 9' PowerJig .... I use the 5'6" UL for dock shooting, the 6'6" PowerLite for jig casting, and the 9' PowerJig for vertical jigging & tightline presentations.

I have no experience with St Croix for comparison.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using my 7'1" M Gloomis NRX and Shimano CI4 to slip bobber and its been good.

Yeah the micros would be fine for jigging and retrieving when I get into search mode

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a 7 or 8ft Wally Marshall light action rod. Great for slide bobber and jigging.

Post Thanks / Like

9' Bass pro shops micro lite float n fly. Long casting, sensitive, great backbone and very affordable.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I was going to buy the Legend Elite, but I think I'm just going to order the ESP 7' Power Lite to try. I've been wanting one for awhile now.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll also get a float n fly rod to get a true slip bobber rod.