Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery slightly sizzles while on charger for a while

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery slightly sizzles while on charger for a while

Is my battery bad, or is it my charger? While charging my battery (2 amp 12v), it makes a slight sizzle or boil from one side. I didn't try to go to 6amp 12v, because I thought something was going to fry or blow. What is it?
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a bad cell or two to me. On the brighter side your about to be $100 lighter.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked the fluid level in the battery, I'm not an expert of anything but i would think if it was too low on fluid then it may try to boil it. Hope this helps you.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Check fluid levels before you dish out the bucks. If its low, use distilled water to fill it up. Only use distilled water. Then re-charge as soon as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Default test it

It could be a bad cell. The only way to tell that is with a hydrometer. I found one at Walmart for a couple of bucks. You can tell the difference between the cells by how many balls will float. Fill the cells with distilled water first; then give her a full charge.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Has anybody heard the wives-tale about using a bayer aspirin to "revive" a dead cell? Will it work?
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowdenja
    Has anybody heard the wives-tale about using a bayer aspirin to "revive" a dead cell? Will it work?
    That's a new one on me. I don't think it would be plausible though (I learned that word watching Myth Busters). A battery has lead plates that can corrode or weld together if water levels are not maintained. I don't know what asprin could do to fix that.

While I am back on this thread....I have seen water bubble and steam out from an over active alternator. If the charger is putting out more than 14 volts, it would be suspect in my mind too.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Check the voltage output of the charger. If that is ok, check water level. One product that I am a true beleiver in is called Battery Equalizer. They sell it at Wally world. Squirt an ounce in each cell and it will help revive older batteries. It also reduces the time to get batteries to full charge and makes the charge last longer. I have added it to my crank batt and my TM batts.

Just Google Battery Equalizer and you will see plenty of info.

Gilly

Post Thanks / Like

Man......I thought they were suppose to sizzle. I can't remember when any of mine didn't. Oh well!! THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

ok correction.............it immeadiatly sizzles, and kicks the charger off. This can't be good. Anyone know what a cheap trolling motor battery goes for these days? I don't need much. Just pulling the 14 footer around.
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast