Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New Crappie Fisherman Here

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Crappie Fisherman Here

[B]I would like to go for some crappies this week but I don't know where to go or what to use. Is there any body out there that can tell me where to go and what to use. I can't belive there is nobody out there that won't help me. Bob [email protected]
    Last edited by camo521; 09-26-2006 at 11:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry just got on here been gone for a while. Iknow it is April and you posted in Sept but now is a good time to start thinking about crappie for this year. Are you still around? No is the time for help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default place to start...

check out the DEC website at: http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/

Then look for the topo maps and other links which describe waters near where you live - or are within a distance you don't mind driving. They list species in most of the lakes and streams throughout the state - in particular the Finger Lakes.

I've caught crappie in Keuka Lake. There, you'll generally find them at the ends of the East and West branches (Penn Yan & Branchport) and on the South end (Hammondsport). They seem to like the weed beds at the ends as opposed to the rocky bottoms along the sides. You'll need a boat to get to them. On the West branch, you can launch small boats at the DEC launch on Sugar Creek in Branchport. For bigger boats, the State Park has a big concrete ramp.

Post Thanks / Like

what to use...

jigs are a good place to start, fathead minnows are great for crappie too.

I have a Plano-type box full of jig heads, mini tube heads, some lindy spinners, and a ton of different color mini tubes and twister-tail grubs. That is my "crappie box".

I need to pick up some of the Blakemore roadrunner heads too - they are supposed to be deadly.

Crappie can be very picky in what color they'll take. Chartreuse might have worked great yesterday, but today pink and white are what they're hitting. you get the picture.

Check out the home page on this site, there are a bunch of articles on different ways to go slabbin'. Also, basspro.com has a library and in the "panfish" section there are a bunch of crappie articles too.

If it ever stops snowing, we'll be in for a month or two of hot crappie action as they go through the spawn. Get your gear together and be ready to hit the water!