Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Jig for catching bluegills?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Jig for catching bluegills?

I been using bobber and worms but i would like to purchase some jigs to use if there are some that works great. I have heard about the bettlespin. Whats best jig for them?

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Michael
    I use different types of jigs but the best (and I'm not sure of the name) is the small hair jigs. Bluegill just eat them up. I've also found about the best color, at least in my area, to be black with a red head.
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

We do our best bluegill fishing with a mealworm (Grubco Mighty Mealie) on a small hook and jigged right under us, but if we need to cast, we like a small midge imitation fly a foot behind a casting bubble or a 1/32 jig with one of the following: micro craw, micro frog or black and white tube. Even if I use a bobber, which is rare, I'll keep it moving instead of just sitting there. That triggers a lot more strikes, at least for me. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern
    Likes shipahoy41, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Small Marabo jigs 1/32,1/64 under a bobber works good but a crappie nibbet on it smaller jig the better for bluegill will have to add splitshots to stand the float up. also the 1" tube jigs work well with the same weights. agree with above post black and darker colors work the best for me

Post Thanks / Like

Default roostertails

During spring or early summer, I love to cast small roostertails on ultralite rigs. I catch my share of bass this way too. In clear water I use black. This method is good for 10' or less.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

When they are biting and more so when on beds try this. Get some of those small bright colored plastic worms used for trout. Use a long shanked #10 wire hook and thread a piece on like you would a real worm. To really boost bites tip with a crappie nibble.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

done best with small hair jigs, i use the brown side of a bucktail to ty them...actually that hair is usually lite brown at base, dark brown and black at tip. 1/32 on 2 lb seems best setup. have also use the small maraboo, got two 2 lb shellcrackers on them from farm ponds.

Post Thanks / Like

We catch a lot of shellcracker on Pickwick with Charlie Brewer Sliders (purple body with chartreuse tail) threaded on a long shank bream hook. We use three split shot, with a slip cork on ultralight. We stay back about 30 feet away from the beds so we don't spook the fish. Also, purple bream grubs on a 1/64 jig head or regular bream hook work almost as good as the sliders. Then, if we add a cricket the catch ratio increases several times over.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

When we fish Lakeview just outside Memphis, we use the 1/64 oz white head with black hair skirt popeye jigs. Adding a cricket or waxworm improves the catch ratio there.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Using the Atom Optic Stealth or fatBoys...any horizontal hanger with wild plastics does the trick almost everytime...check out this tank testing I did with some plastics just for fun..keep in mind these fish have seen plastics regularly and are well fed daily......and have very small mouths,,,a bent over jig hook is used for testing purpose...no danger to my beloved "clown fish"

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?use...cdate=20060904

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?use...3&ctime=145410

Just a few of the testing videos..kinda fun and interesting to watch!.....LOBY
    Mike "LOBY" Lobenstein
    www.lobybaits.com
    2006 N.A.I.F.C. Qualifier
    AUSTIN RODS PRO STAFF
    X-TREMEICE TOURNAMENTS
    MAKIPLASTICS DISTRIBUTION
    catch-n.com Pro staff
    catch-n kids staffer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast