Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping 'em fresh

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keeping 'em fresh

I went down to my favorite lake near Gainesville, FL this past Wednesday and got into the shell crackers and blue gills pretty good on grass shrimp. Problem was after I tossed a few in my live well (and even though it recirculates), they died pretty quick in the warm water. I ended up putting those I caught in my cooler with my sandwiches and drinks since I had ice in it.

I dumped another bag of ice in the cooler on the way home to keep 'em cold but it got me to thinking about the new coolers I've seen on the market that are pretty costly. Are they worth it?

I have an older Coleman and a Rubbermaid and they do a fair job but I'm thinking with the heat being what it is during the day on the water I want something that is better.

Mr. Moderator, if this needs to go someplace else, feel free to.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

SWAMP FOX, I freeze 2 liter soda pop bottles in my freezer , place in live well and keeps the fish alive pretty good......crappie1133

Post Thanks / Like

Yeti coolers are by far the best coolers i have ever used. keeps ice for a week

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a regular cooler just for fish and freeze gallon jugs or two liter pop bottles of water. If it is extemely hot add a bag of crushed ice or bust a jug of ice up. I buy little ice unless I can help it as I have a deep freezer.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about a Yetti but the price is more than I can stand. I'm wondering if a small Coleman Xtreme may work. I want something small so it's not in the way but big enough to do the job.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at high end coolers for a long while. And decided on Brute. They are made in Texas and come with a five year warranty. And cost less than other name brand coolers. I have a 75qt and a 25qt and highly enjoy both. Here is the web link http://Brute Outdoors Marine Cooler ...eoutdoors.com/
    Here is also my ice test I did last fall on the 75qt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiIS...e_gdata_player
    Attached Images Attached Images  

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you ice your fish in a live well, or your minnows, remember the chlorine in the city water(ice) thats released as it melts. Takes out fish pretty quick. No water, no problem. Also, recirculate, not replace the live well water. Works good for all but the long hot days, then you might as well throw em right on ice.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

A $40 Coleman xtreme will keep ice as well as a Yeti, Engall, K2, Brute or any of the other high dollar coolers. The high end coolers are just more durable.

High End Cooler Test by SportsmanGuys.com
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What Feelay said. Got a couple of them for fathers day.77 qt. Using one for fish. Sitting out in the sun I can put a 16 lb bbag of ice and 30 crappie and have over half a bag left by the time I get home. I also freeze 2 ltr bottles at times and line the bottom with them and works just as well.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    A $40 Coleman xtreme will keep ice as well as a Yeti, Engall, K2, Brute or any of the other high dollar coolers. The high end coolers are just more durable.

High End Cooler Test by SportsmanGuys.com
    Read a similar test done by trailer boats magazine. Coleman Extreme beat them all for ice retention.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast