Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vicious panfish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vicious panfish

I ordered 100yards of Vicious 6lb test Hi-Vis from Ebay last week. I just took it out fishing and man does that stuff suck in my opinion! I see people on this forum ranting and raving about it and I'd rather not fish vs using this line. I was fishing a pond that has about 8ft of visibility and could see the fish taking my jig LONG before I felt a nudge on the line. Do most use this for spider rigging or something specific? I think I'll stick with my PowerPro.

Post Thanks / Like

i have removed vicious hi vis from two of my rods and replaced it with cajun red line.........i really like that cajun!! jmo!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chucktx View Post
    i have removed vicious hi vis from two of my rods and replaced it with cajun red line.........i really like that cajun!! jmo!
    Thanks for your input! What works for us might not work for others! Just asking opinions!

Post Thanks / Like

i found i was having the vicious line wrapping around the tip of my rod a lot. the cajun is very limp and no memory....it didnt wrap once in a day's fishing. it is a bit harder to see because of the color, but the lack of tip wrap out weighed that.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Vicious Panfish mono 6lb test hi-vis ... mostly for casting methods, but also tightline & Spiderrigging applications. Good stuff, IMHO.

I don't think comparing mono to braid, on a "feel a nudge on the line" comparison, is a fair judgement.

I don't try & "feel" the bite (when casting/swimming jigs) ... I want to "see" the bite, which is why I use hi-vis. And, if I could see the fish actually take the jig ... I wouldn't even bother with hi-vis line OR braid I'd just use clear/blue mono. But, that's just me.

But, I'm also not a Vicious Panfish line "purist" ... not by a long shot !! I've got/use line from Stren/Trilene, PowerPro, BPS, Mr Crappie, Maxima, Cortland, as well as Vicious.

... cp

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chucktx View Post
    i found i was having the vicious line wrapping around the tip of my rod a lot. the cajun is very limp and no memory....it didnt wrap once in a day's fishing. it is a bit harder to see because of the color, but the lack of tip wrap out weighed that.
    That sounds more like the Vicious line was twisted from a lot of use, or improperly spooled, than a inherent nature of the line. I don't have "tip wrap" problems from my Vicious line ... at least not until it gets twisted from hours of casting. Then I just drag a length of empty line behind the boat for a few minutes, and untwist it ... then tie a jig back on & proceed.
    The way I fish, which is casting/swimming a jig mostly (& watching the line), ANY line that I couldn't see very well would result in more missed fish than caught fish. But, that's me and the way I fish, and the waters I fish ... no kick against any particular brand of line.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I was jigging cover that was about 26ft down actually. That slowed so I went to the weed beds to try my luck. But ya, if I just jigged weed beds in clear water I wouldnt use hi-viz.

You dont try to "feel" the bite when casting/swimming jigs? Lmao
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 07-11-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's all about your preference just play around with all types of line and everything else and find what you like and works best for where you're fishing. I usually fish a lake with very stained water so I prefer a camo braid unless I'm line watching then ill run a high vis but that is usually only when I'm shooting docks without a slip cork

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cpainter87 View Post

You dont try to "feel" the bite when casting/swimming jigs? Lmao
    No, CP ... actually I don't. I figure if I can feel the bite, the fish can feel me (not actually me, but the rod tip tension) ... and that's likely to make the fish spit the bait, faster than it might normally do, if it senses something amiss. But, you also have to take into account that I'm fishing (swimming a jig) on a semi-slack line (with a bow in the line) and not a straight line from rod tip to jig (as in "jigging").
    But, when jigging & Vertical Casting ... regardless of whether I'm using a rod with mono or braid, you can believe that I very definitely "feel" the bite !! It's the nature of the method to transmit the "thump" ... seeing as how you have a direct (straight) connection between rod tip & bait. The one thing that can diminish the ability to "feel" bites, using these methods, is spool wrap coils (line memory). But, even they can be dealt with ... and here's how I do it :

Tie off tag end, or hook bait, to something stationary. Walk off a good distance (50-75ft) with bail open & line coming off reel. Close bail & pull against the stationary object. Mono will stretch quite a bit ... and you'll notice line is limper/straighter than when you started, as you reel the line back onto the reel (under tension).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, a lot of people swear by this or that, just because it says crappie or panfish on it. All the while, the products are lacking in quality, and I won't waste my money on them.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast