Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for best 4lb and 6lb line for my Penn Battles 1000/2000

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for best 4lb and 6lb line for my Penn Battles 1000/2000

First off, thanks for all of the great info. Every time I do a search regarding crappie, I'm directed to this website. I'm just now getting into targeting crappie specifically and find it extremely entertaining and gratifying. I typically target striped bass or trout.

I bought every penn battle from 1000 up to 6000 and really like the 2000 specifically for crappie. I currently have it spooled with Sufix Elite in a smoke color and I like the performance so far, but I really want to get into the grind of crappie fishing and have only used it twice. Is there a better option? And what should I put on the 1000? I know you could ask 10 people and get 11 different answers, but I'm all ears. Thanks in advance and you guys are awesome!

I'm also in the market for a nice, but inexpensive crappie rod. I'm currently using a 5' light ugly stik and I don't think it's long enough or sensitive enough. The majority of my fishing will be from banks, and will occasionally be on my father in laws boat. I really want a st. croix panfish, but it may be pricier than I can spend.
    Last edited by Dmancari18; 07-11-2013 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Add on

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of irrefutable points:

1) Almost any major brand of 4# and 6# line will work fine for crappie fishing.

2) Whatever line you end up using, somebody on this forum will swear it's the worst line ever.

If you need proof of the points above, just search the archives and read the line threads.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Visicous brand hi-viz line, but others like other brands. Use what you like in 4-6lb, hi-viz makes it easier to see the line move when the fish are biting light, etc., Look at the B&M poles, they may be cheaper than the St Croix, but some people on here swear by BPS brand rods as well, should probably go shake rattle and hold some rods to see what feels good for YOU. If you plan on using just one rod/reel setup the majority of the time for your style of fishing, then spending the extra $$ may be the right thing to do.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly why I was looking for something inexpensive, because I envision it being much like my striper gear (I have 5-6 striper rods) where I'll eventually buy rods for situational fishing. I just want to start off with a Swiss Army knife rod that will suffice in multiple applications until I figure out the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Dmancari18, I use rods that are not expensive, I like the 5'6 Berkley Cherrywood rods. About $20.00 to $30.00. It hurts less than breaking the tip out on a rod that cost $90.00 or more. Not saying they are not quality rods. Just more than I feel I get the benefit from. I use Visious Hi Vis line, 4# test in bulk spools and change it often. You can make anything cost what you want, but sometimes the cost is not seen in performance. You don't have to have THE BEST to still enjoy the quest....crappie1133

Post Thanks / Like

I use shakespear Light action from walmart, bout $20/rod, then put the reel of choice on and go from there.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That Cherrywood is a nice rod for the money. If you are happy with the line you are using now spool up with it in lb test you want and try it first.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

as for line......i like the red cajun in 6lb...........

Post Thanks / Like

The Cherrywood is a nice rod and it will get the job done.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I'm seeing the cherrywood you guys are referring to around me. The cherrywood I see at my walmart is rated 8-17 lb line I believe, so it's a bit heavier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast