Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Transducer Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transducer Help!

I have a Humminbird 597 ci hd on the transom and have knocked the transducer off three times and its ticking me off. I went to Binder Lake and sat the transducer inside the bottom of my boat and it seemed to be reading just fine. Maybe not quite as sensitive but pretty good. Has anyone else put their transducer on the inside of an aluminum hull?

Post Thanks / Like

check the main forum...fishing electronics....there are two H'bird reps on there all the time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Baby View Post
    I have a Humminbird 597 ci hd on the transom and have knocked the transducer off three times and its ticking me off. I went to Binder Lake and sat the transducer inside the bottom of my boat and it seemed to be reading just fine. Maybe not quite as sensitive but pretty good. Has anyone else put their transducer on the inside of an aluminum hull?
    I do not have an aluminum boat as mine is fiberglass however, I had the same issue. I originally put it on the trolling motor but it got destroyed after the first use as the humminbird bracket is junk. I opted not to put it on the back so I installed it in the bottom of my boat. If you have tried it with success, it should be fine. I have a 596c HD DI.

Here is what I did:

Items needed:

Slow Cure Marine Epoxy: You may have received a small sample of this with your purchase, if not, you can either get it from Humminbird or at Bass Pro. It's a clear epoxy that dries hard as a rock.

Plumber's putty

Find the flattest spot on the bottom of your boat near the rear. Perhaps near the drain plug or close to it. I had to remove my gas tank but was well worth it. Take the plumbers putty and build an oval a little larger than the size of the transducer. I then mixed the epoxy according to the directions and poured it into the hole. I then set the transducer down inside the oval I had just built and onto the epoxy. The key is to make sure that you do not have any air bubbles in your epoxy. Do it slowly. Hold it in place and level long enough that it isn't going to move on you. Lastly, make sure you get the slow cure as opposed to the fast curing epoxy. It will take some time to cure but once it does, it's not going anywhere. Good luck, it's an easy job.