Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie brethren, which motor?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie brethren, which motor?

I'm shopping for a new bassboat right now. Depending on how I can get financed, I may be looking at a bigger used boat, but from initial talks I'll probably be looking more at new for better financing plus no worries about someone elses problems. I'm staying under 20k and if I go new right now it'll probably be a new Stratos 176 VLO. It's max rated for a 75hp and I'm between either going max with 75 Optimax, or a Yamaha F70. I'll sacrifice abit of torque and may not hit the 40mph mark with the f70, but with a jackplate I think it'll still suit my needs very well and I doubt a crappie can swim 40mph. Also I can save *Alot* of weight as in about 120lbs. And I'd imagine slightly better fuel mileage. Both motors have a good reputation and I'm a big optimax fan, but Yamaha tends to set the bar for reliability plus I have local dealer support for Yamaha since my dad works at a Yammie dealer. So your thoughts?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a no brainer.......get a Yamaha
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Yamaha

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Set up right that Yamaha will perform right there with the Opti, beter economy, low maintaince and quiet.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 90 hp Yamaha (2002) on my aluminum boat, my buddy has a 90 hp Merc on his, I'm guessing 2010 aluminum boat. I had to look and make sure the Mercury was running. That being said I've had two 90 hp Yamahas over the years and both were trouble free.

IMO buy the biggest motor that the boat is rated for. Not necessarily for the speed, but to get you out of trouble. I almost sank one of my boats on KY Lake years ago when it took a wave over the back and filled the boat. It took all of the power it had to keep from taking another one. With a smaller motor my boat would've been at the bottom of the lake and possibly my fishing partner and I too.

Post Thanks / Like

Yamaha
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Set up right that Yamaha will perform right there with the Opti, beter economy, low maintaince and quiet.
    Absolutely not. The Yamaha 70hp is a small motor compared to the Optimax 75hp. The Yamaha will not perform anything like the Opti.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Backwaters View Post
    Absolutely not. The Yamaha 70hp is a small motor compared to the Optimax 75hp. The Yamaha will not perform anything like the Opti.
    One of those rabid Merc fans.

I've owned both Mercs and Yammies. Either will serve you well but I would lean to the Yammie.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 176xt with a 70 Yamaha 2 stroke that I bought used. Stratos changed the top cap and renamed the boat VLO. I test drove the boat with a F70 when looking for a boat, quiet, smooth running. I found a clean used boat for half the price of a new one. If you go with the VLO upgrade the trolling motor to a variable speed 80lbs thrust unit. If I was buying new I would look into a 75 ETEC, heard and seen nothing but positive out the engine. The Yamaha will perform about the same as the Optimax due to it's extra weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    One of those rabid Merc fans.

I've owned both Mercs and Yammies. Either will serve you well but I would lean to the Yammie.
    Not even. I just live in the real world and have seen what both of these outboards will do. I prefer to keep Americans building these outboards anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast