Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lead melting question for sinkers and jig heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Lead melting question for sinkers and jig heads.

Has anyone used an electric burner or hot plate to melt lead with? I have a RCBS melting pot that probably hold around 5 or 10 pounds of lead. I pour most of my ingots into a muffin pan after I clean the lead in a cast iron skillet. The problem that I am running into is the only thing I have to melt the lead on now is a coleman 2 burner camp stove that is hooked up to those little green propane bottles. I am not having any luck keeping the lead at a consistant temp for pouring. That and I have to make a ton of trips across town to get more propane. LOL Just trying to find the most cost effective way of doing this. I would like to make jig heads and sinkers both. As far as the size of the sinkers anything from split shot up to about 6 or 8 oz for fishing for the big blues here at Keystone dam sometimes. Thanks all, Bobo

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used a single burner electric to melt lead in small quanities. Really need smaller size cast iron pot and not load it to heavy. Use ladel for pouring. For the price of propane bottles get you a Lee melting pot and be done with it. For large weights you need one of those propane burners used for frying turkeys and fish with a large pot to melt and pour that larger quanity of lead. Plus you can use it to flux large quanities of lead at one time. For those large weights I'd just gather up wheel weights and use that and save good lead for smaller jigs.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Cray, is on the money buy you a Lee pot for pouring. Electric, variable temp, had one for 10 years plus works great for me.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

How heavy are you folks able to go with using the Lee melting pot?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine is 10 lb. They do make larger ones I think to 20 used mostly by bullet makers. May have some larger for commercial operations.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the 10, a buddy has the big one, he pours lots of big bullets.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I also use a turkey cooker burner for melting lead that needs to be cleaned. Have used it to pour jigs with a ladle to.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STUMP HUNTER View Post
    I also use a turkey cooker burner for melting lead that needs to be cleaned. Have used it to pour jigs with a ladle to.
    I use the ole turkey cooker myself for melt downs and fluxing. I use a heavy dutch oven that holds about 70# and I have a cast iron tea kettle. I pour into a cast iron cupcake pan for ingots, I also use store bought ones from thrift shops. I mainly use bacon grease to flux, just drives the neighbors crazy. For smaller stuff like jigs I use the same as most, it's just hard to beat those Lee's for the money. For bigger things and down-rigger weights I use the tea kettle. Just be thrifty and share some things, it will come back around to you, I promise.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast