Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newboat vs used

Post Thanks / Like

Default newboat vs used

im on the market for a boat, I want something that I can crappie fish and bass fish as well... im trying to stick around the 15,000 range and was needing some input on which would be the best.. a brand new bass tracker 175. or a 5 to 6 year old performance bass but such as a ranger or nitro with pretty low hours?

Post Thanks / Like

i would go with the later, the second a new boat leaves the lot it depreciates dramatically, the best bang for your buck is to shop around and find a good used boat that has been taken care of and one with a good motor. if you are willing to drive there are some amazing steals on ebay i see all the time, infact i found my boat on ebay. shop around, know what you want and figure out what the going rate is then find the better deal.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for buying a used boat as long as it is in good shape and the price is right. I had to drive about 7 hours one way to get my used boat and it only had 15 hours on it and even with the cost of travel I was money ahead. Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

what they said, check Craigs list , Ebay or Boat Trader within the driving radius you are willing to drive and good luck. i have sold two boats and bought two thru Craigs list.
    Gilby aka Bill :D

Post Thanks / Like

X5 - @ 15 grand you can walk away with a dandy of a boat & money to spare for the riggin. Insist on a test run and if possible take it to a shop for the once over. Other than the new smell the only reason to buy new is financing. If you got the dough and the patients you'll get way more boat for your money buying used.
    My $0.02 -> wait till October-November, you'll have a lot more time to look and there will be more on the market + prices will come down.
    You just gonna sit there an argue, or fish?
    ~Claud Ledbetter~

Post Thanks / Like

what papadave said
    Gilby aka Bill :D

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone this really helps a lot!..

Williamston, North Carolina, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Listen to these guys, they are savvy on buying a boat; a good used boat is the way to go, if you follow the rules.

Getting a reputable mechanic, one who specializes in the engine brand you are buying, can be the safety net between a good deal and a sucker deal. He can pull the plugs and inspect the cylinder walls with a fiber-optic viewer, check compression, test the ignition system, and check for known inherent problems with the particular engine that you are getting.

Buying in the late fall and winter will usually get you a better price and the mechanic’s business will be slower, giving him the time to do his inspection in more detail.

Again, be sure of the mechanic that you use; he is your only protection that you have from you taking home someone else’s problem. Don’t be in a hurry; the hassle will save you a lot of grief later on.

Good luck.

B-
    Never look down on someone unless you're helping them up.

Post Thanks / Like

yes im going to give some that i learnt the hard way i brought a skeeter with a 150 yamaha pro v had it chkd out checked fine went put ins on it two months later lower unit went cost 3700 to put it back together ins payed all but 100 if u get used boat get ins on it
    fishing from the couch in front of the tv doesnt count

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast