Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Thinking of building a rod and need suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking of building a rod and need suggestions

Sunday I managed to break a BPS Wally Marshall signature series 10ft rod. I have some experience in rod building. I think it was medium action. it was the upper half that broke leaving me about an 8ft rod. I've been looking at fly rod blanks, and wondering if anyone has a suggestion on fly rod weight to use to have a comparable rod. The Wally Marshall was IM 8. I'm concerned that 8 weight is just a little lacking to horse crappie into the boat. The broken rod was used to horse a channel cat about 3 lb into the boat. I know i shouldn't have, and really don't know what I was thinking. Any suggestions, or even suggestions where I might find a new upper half of the rod to replace. thanks in advance for suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

In the Wally Marshall rods, I don't think the IM rating is the weight of the rod. IM is a technology use to describe the weaving or the way that grapite is put together. If you're going to need to lift fish into the boat with your rod, then I would suggest using a blank with some fiberglass in it. Bear in mind that I am biased here.I've fished with bamboo, fiberglass and graphite. While graphite is much lighter, by far my favorite is fiberglass. It can be limber, strong and sensative all at the same time.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    But don't forget the Roadrunners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nemofisher View Post
    I'm concerned that 8 weight is just a little lacking to horse crappie into the boat.
    First, I agree with LJ that "IM 8" is not the same as an 8wt fly rod.

Second, an 8wt blank is overkill for crappie, IMO. I've landed 20# baby tarpon on a 7wt. If you were just planning on fly fishing, I'd suggest no heavier than a 5wt. For what you're doing, you might want to try a 6wt.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions. Sometime in the night started thinking of buying the same rod rather than building. Still thinking. Thanks again for your input

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nemofisher View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Sometime in the night started thinking of buying the same rod rather than building. Still thinking. Thanks again for your input
    Why not contact Lou @ Grizzly Jig ... The 2013 catalog says they have "Grizco" IM7 (grey color) replacement tips that will fit Wally Marshall series rods. Price range is ~$15-$20 per tip section (+S/H). All he needs to know is model number, rod length, and brand. And he also sells WM rods ... the 10ft ML runs ~ $60
    Granted ... there may be a color & guide style difference between the WM part & Grizzly Jig part of the rod, and a IM7 tip section on the IM6 butt section to consider ... but, it's an option and cheaper than a whole new rod purchase.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I've built 6 rods this year using Cabelas fly rod blanks. I use a 5 or 6 8 to 9 ft and its plenty stout for the type of fish I catch.

But, if you want to get a replacement tip for you pole butt, try Grizzzly Jigs out of Caruthersville Mo. They build all size top replacements and are on E-Bay if you use that site.

Otherwise, you can bring up their site on the web "GRIZZLY JIGS". A good place to shop Crappir fishing items.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

The WM rods that were IM8 are not even made any longer and you can not get a replacement tip because they never made any. Believe me I know because I have one also that I got the tip broke other than fishing with it. I called everyone I could and it was a no go, but thankfully I only broke an inch or so off so just put another tip on it.
    if by chance you decide to just buy another rod like it I would suggest the BnM Gold Jig pole since it too is an IM 8 and about the same action. Grizzly jig has hem too. The other WM rods are only IM 6 and IMHO not equal to the one you broke.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mudhole.com sells everything you could imagine for rod building if you decide to go that route. I wouldn't go thru that with so many good rods available for good money. That's just me though, and had fun building my own in the past.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around