Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Broke my personal best crappie record

Post Thanks / Like

Default Broke my personal best crappie record

Total crappie that is. 22 total today. Their sizes ranged from 8 to 13 inches. 7 of the largest ones went back into the water and I kept the rest to filet for my grandmother since she has been complaining about me throwing keeper fish back into the water.

I started out the day with the goal of catching cutbait for catfish, but when I hooked into a crappie, and then another I quickly changed my mind about catfish. I started out with a darker shade of green with a grey underbody. My theory is that since the male bass have abandoned their fry, the fry have taken refuge under the rocks on the north side of the lake, with the gusty north winds today, 90% of the crappie I caught where right along the riprap, I worked this bass mimic jig along the shore slowly and that is when they hit. Bringing the lure in against the wind from the deeper waters didn't produce hits as much as running it along the bank. As the sun was starting to get low, the shade overlapped the area and they stopped biting on the jig. I picked them up again when i switched to a chart/grey jig, same body style. Neither of the two previous jigs worked after the sun cleared the trees and was about to hit the horizon. So i decided to throw a white curly tail on and picked up my final 3 crappie and a 13" bass.

In the end it was a good day where the wind worked to my advantage.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fishin Chris!
    Year round fishing is the way to go