Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crank baits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crank baits

Little info...I live in Dallas Ga. home lake Allatoona..but new home lake Weiss...bought lot on Mud Creek...1/4 mile from the Coosa. River. I come from the bass side...now coo coo for coco puffs for crappie...I have 2 boxes full of Bandits 300's and Bill Norman deep little N's mostly bass colors...bandits...red colors spring craw colors and dull shad colors...the Normans lots of bright colors with metal flake in them...looking at the two both get 10- to 12 ' range but with braid pulling maybe deeper...I hate to go out and buy more if maybe the ones I have will work? The Normans wobble is different than the Bandits...Has anyone pulled Normans? all I read is bandits...don't hear about other brands sure they are more info I just cant find it...anyway plan to experiment with them in the river (Coosa)...near Centre Ala...tomorrow...plus pulling heavy heads..My creek ( Mud) had a lot of White crappie in it I don't know why caught some blacks shooting docks but more whites and their quality was a little better as well...I'm hoping I can find them out in front of my creek in the river (now that I think they have moved out)..Have a mile or so of the coosa with 2 major bends..good ledges and lots of cover to probe...If I find them on brush will stop and drop jigs on them...any help or info you have on this attempt would be wonderful! thanks LB Oh yeah Allatoona no rod restriction..Weiss only 3 rods man Im having trouble getting over not pulling 6- 12 rods lol!
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the Rebel Crappie Crank R's best....have a better wiggle. Best colors for me with them is Tail Light and Firefly. I have used Normans. These baits run about like a 300 Bandit. Pulling at 1.8 mph with 10 lb. mono they will run as deep as 18 ft. with 160 ft. of line out. Best colors are the pinks, black, chartreuse, orange. Crappie like bright colors.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't give up on dark colors, even on bright sunny days. Black bubblegum and the custom purple/green matte are my go to colors most any day along with a color called Old Light in bandit 200 and 300s.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I think every lake is different to a certain extent when it comes to trolling cranks and their colors.
    I like the Bandit 300 Tenn shad, but for the last 25 yrs have used mostly Rebel wee-R's (the double deep),
    in chartruse, and sometimes black and silver. Couple of yrs ago I found some Xcaliburs on sale in the
    chartruse so bought some and caught lots of crappie. I generally troll about 1.5 mph, use 10 lb and minus
    line and work mostly stumps and channels. Usually run only 4 poles and start each one with a different
    lure and color until i see what they like best then go to that color. I am sure there are other lures and
    methods of catching crappie, but for me and my lake what I have said has always paid off for me.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure in them bass lures you got some Chartruse and blue variations. Good colors. Black and chrome, blue and chrome, some of your orange craw colors also should do good. Red and black combo. Go to Bandit website, look at their crappie colors then sort through what you have that comes close. I like to swap around from bandits to others for the different action they present. I am like G the Rebel crank R is a really good bait when you can find them. Good luck on your new home lake.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I run some deep baby n's and catch fish on them. Try running them all and switching often. If they seem to quit biting, switch your colors and you will catch some more. Also, some of the colors you think wouldn't catch crappie will become some of your favorites. Each day may hold a different color combination, so don't get rid of any until you are sure you don't like them.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't troll crankbaits anymore but have seen just about any small crankbait catch Crappie. I have seen Rattle Traps, Hot Spots , Bandits , Rebels , and list goes on used. Key to catching fish is presentation '' depth , speed , wobble , some say color''. Try what you have along side what everone is using . I bet you will find some fish catching baits in your tackle without replacing everything.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

We use some Norman Little N crank baits that run about 9 feet deep and catch crappie on them. We also use Bandit 200 and 300 series, Strike King, Rapala JSR series, DT Thug, and DT series. We catch crappie on all of them, but do the best on the Rapala JSR 5 and Bandits. Another crank bait that I always use is the Academy house brand H20 Express CRULD in chartreuse shad - it is a consistent crappie catcher for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Bandits come in a wide variety of colors, and run true right out of the box. The rebels are good too. But as long as you can get your baits down where the fish are, you can catch them on your baits. I've caught tons of fish on a imatation baby bass bandit, and I've never seen a crappie eat a bass. I like the darker baits, while other will recommend bright flashy baits. They will all catch fish.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

speaking of bandits are these of Berks Company originals if so if you want to part with the yellow belly blacktop I would be interested they are one of my favorites if you don't know what I'm talking about these are soft rubber crank baits like a little big gig in a little Big Dig in a few of the popular style we fish with that one of the r stuff I still one of my all time favorites is the Hula Popper black I use a Lucky 13's River runts hula dancer and I do use a few the bomber type stuff shad raps and many more that I carry with me when we are doing crank baits for bass I do use a lot of plastic worms and of course my all time favorite using jigs do any of you guys collect crank baits let me know if you're wanting to autoload any please give me a PM we are interested anything from back from 1920 forward even older if you have them. please guys do not alter any of the old stuff what I mean is do not put anything on them leave them original even if they are poor up do not touch them if you have them in the original boxes all the better.

www.bobsjigs.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast