Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anybody camp at Hillman Ferry during the spring?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody camp at Hillman Ferry during the spring?

We usually stay at one of the Lake Access areas, but it gets old babying the TM to make the batteries last. What kind of crowd is there during March/April? Noisy or mostly fishermen? Do they have sites that work for tents, and if you get one of them, how are they space wise to park your boat and tow vehicle? Thanks for any information.

John

captainbezerko Guest

Default Hillman Ferry

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan
    What kind of crowd is there during March/April? Noisy or mostly fishermen? Do they have sites that work for tents, and if you get one of them, how are they space wise to park your boat and tow vehicle?
    Hillman Ferry is the "Grand Central Station" of the campgrounds. You tend to get a variety of people there. Most folks aren't fishing but if you get lucky enough to reserve a spot, you'll enjoy it. As far as space to park a boat or trailer it, well....you should be ok depending on whether or not you're coming close to a "camping holiday." It's pretty tight in there trying to pull a boat around. You'd be better off paying for a slip at one of the local marinas for the weekend. Not too expensive at all, plus it keeps your boat on the water and out of the rain, not to mention the convienance. If you've not been on Kentucky Lake/Barkley Lake early in the spring, be careful of the weather. The wind gets up pretty strong at times and can get rough. Good fishing, hope this helps. (Canal campground is a great second choice)

Post Thanks / Like

I'd expect it to be insane on a holiday, just wondered what it's like during mid-April when we go down there. Been debating buying a quiet Honda generator to charge batteries. Figured it might be cheaper just to stay at one of the campgrounds with electricity. Showers would be nice too. We usually arrive on a Wednesday and leave on Sunday, so I'd hope I could get a spot before the weekend crowd.

I've dealt with the wind there before. Earned my respect, and that's why I want to stay on the LBL side, because that's where I fish mostly and I don't want to have to cross. We usually stay at Sugar Bay, which keeps us close to Jonathon Creek if the fish are there, and not too bad a run to most of the spots we fish.

captainbezerko Guest

Default Mid-April visit

If you're going to primitive camp, (tent), you ought to look into staying at Energy Lake campground or Piney campground. Both of them are inside of LBL. Both of them have electricity, but I don't know exactly how many spots. To find out go to: www.lbl.org/CAMPGate.html
    Both of them are in the general area of where you say that you'll be fishing. Good luck and good fishing. Give me a holler when plan your trip and I'll be happy to help you out any way that I can.