Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tailgate Fish Cleaning Ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tailgate Fish Cleaning Ideas

A new fishing buddy and I have been killing the catfish lately but because of the location, we have to clean them at his house. He does not have a designated fish cleaning spot like I do. Because of this we have been cleaning them on the tailgate of my pickup, this doesn't work very well because the tailgate is not flat.

So I've been trying to think up something that I can put on the tailgate that would make cleaning easier. My one thought so far is to get a scratch and dent countertop from Home Depot and attach a piece of wood to the back at a 90 degree angle that would sit in the gap between the bed and tailgate. The only thing I am unsure of is the durability of this and the weight.

How do you guys clean fish in the field? Input on my idea or maybe a better way?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Talk to the Rend Lake guys,im pretty sure they clean on the tailgate. I have done it many times with a small piece of plywood, or a beer carton box.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I clean on my tailgate. I have a piece of the material that cutting boards are made from. It is 2 by 3 and works perfect. It is also about 1/2 in thick. Can carry in the field with out much trouble just slide up under tool box.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Big cutting board.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Old ironing board top ?? (less likely to "go missing" than a good looking cutting board)

... cp

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Just remember height, might be worth building something. When I clean a lot of fish too low it is rough on the back. I had to raise my metal table that holds my cutting board.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Plywood in bed is all I ever used but I like the old ironing board idea!

Post Thanks / Like

One of dem Jimmy Houston fish cleaning boards you have to build woooden legs and support for it. Easier to use on the tailgate of my truck. Used the old wooden support structure to add to my chicken coop.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

Those of you using plywood does it get a bit funky after a while? Some of the blood, guts, and gore have to soak into the wood right?

Those of you using the cutting boards, how do you keep them from sliding around?

Post Thanks / Like

I use a piece of acrylic sheet that is 36" x 30". I put it on top of a 48 quart cooler that is sitting on the tailgate. That gets the fish up at the right height for me to filet them. It's not perfect, but it works really well for me. I can't stand having to lean or bend while cleaning fish. My back doesn't like it either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast