Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Millers Ferry Lake Dannelly HELP!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Millers Ferry Lake Dannelly HELP!!

A few months ago I bought a place about 15 miles above Millers Ferry on the Alabama River. Actual location is White Oak Creek for those more familiar with the area. Its a few miles North of Rum Creek and Bayou Chitto. I Live in Florida and travel here on the weekends and am hoping to build a cabin soon. Never been a crappie fisherman - but have been excited to learn and have really studied up on it. Spent a couple hundred on jigging poles, little plastic reels and an ample supply of jigs. However, I have been two days now and caught zero crappie. Planning on spending three days there next week and would appreciate any advice specific to the area and time of year. Been using jigs with corks but will probably try some live minnows this time. White Oak creek is large (width) and has an average depth of about 7 ft with a more narrow creek channel that is between 12 & 18 ft depth. Sounds perfect - right? Friend advised trolling for this time of year. Help please - I would love to post up some nice pics upon my return. Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

I am far from an expert on crappie fishing this time of year and don't know anything about the lake you're fishing but here's my 2 cents anyways. I read most every post on the 'Bama forum. All the experts seem to be catching them long lining or pulling cranks over creek channels. Long lining is probably much cheaper to experiment with so I would say try trolling at around 0.8 mph with your jigs around 100 feet behind the boat to start with and reel up some if you're bumping the bottom. I would experiment with different colors and either 1/16 or 1/8 oz. jig heads. Also, I would start with 4 rods or so until you really get comfortable with it. Hopefully I've helped a little bit and maybe one of the experts can tell you everywhere that I might have steered you wrong. Good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

It has been a couple of weeks since I fished last, but I was catching them in the creek mouths up in you area. Did not go as high as White Oak but I did fish Bogue Chitto and Chillatchee. I have been throwing a 300 series Bandit and catching crappie and bass on the pointsand structure near the mouths. I don't drag baits around behind the boat so I can't help you there. The fish I was catching were in 8-12 feet of water.
    I have not fished in White Oak much. Doesn't it have stumps in it or am I thinking Pine Barren?
    FISHUNT7 "Others fish to live, while I live to fish."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FISHUNT7 View Post
    It has been a couple of weeks since I fished last, but I was catching them in the creek mouths up in you area. Did not go as high as White Oak but I did fish Bogue Chitto and Chillatchee. I have been throwing a 300 series Bandit and catching crappie and bass on the pointsand structure near the mouths. I don't drag baits around behind the boat so I can't help you there. The fish I was catching were in 8-12 feet of water.
    I have not fished in White Oak much. Doesn't it have stumps in it or am I thinking Pine Barren?
    White oak doesn't have any stumps. A few of the sloughs off of it have a few. The rain cancelled our plans for the fourth but I did get up there today and put out a few noodles but no catfish were caught. Caught one bass and a few bream. Thanks for the tips