Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night fishing for Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night fishing for Crappie

Hey Guys I was just wondering if any of you guys have tried fishing at night for some of those good ole Crappie. I was thinking of going out this weekend to try it out.
    Catch Fish Or Die Old Trying!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to with my father in law, until I got my boat. I don't do it any more. I'm a morning person and prefer to get up early and go. It was fun. And the wind was almost always calmer. Get some lights to throw in the water and have a blast

Post Thanks / Like

One of my best trips ever was with floating lights at night. It took awhile but the crappies showed up and we had a ball until the dinks overran the hole! Finally in disgust I picked up a rod with a plastic worm and made a long cast and in 3 casts caught 3 bass all over 3 lbs. The minnows went into the lake and we bass fished all night with those silly floating lights.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep it can be a blast, it's best to do it when the moon is not very bright, seems like more shad come to the light. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Alright, so after having bought a light a few years ago (and NEVER using it), I'm finally going to do some night time crappie fishing! Think this post got it stuck in my head yesterday and have been thinking about it ever since. We'll be heading down tomorrow evening.

Any suggestions on what kind of depth to set up in? Think we'll be heading to the Bucksaw area, prob head to Cedar Creek, or may go to Tebo. Do you just find some type of structure in 20' fow, tie up and put the lights overboard and not move?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do it often, but I enjoy night fishing. You have the lake to yourself... except for a few catfishermen running limb lines. One night on Smithville I was catching a few crappie but a jon boat full of cat men would come by every hour or so and give me the crappie they'd caught. Didn't have any cats to trade them.

Post Thanks / Like

All I've ever done was hang lanterns in trees and wait....lol. NOBODY fishes that way now. Submersible lights are hung below the boat and baits/minnows are fished on the outer edge of the light. Someday I'll get to try it myself again

Post Thanks / Like

what ever you do DON'T use the "lantern in a tree" technique unless you like to be covered in bugs. ever bug on the lake will come join you!

Floating lights or the rods that are submerged in the water are best. hang them over the side of the boat and just start dipping some minnows. The darker the night the better. You just need to be near the fish, the light attracts the shad which attracts the crappie which also sometimes attracts some bass and so forth. Great alternative when its 150 million degrees during the day. Just be patient, sometimes it can take a while to get the shad to ya.

GOOD LUCK!
    -Justin. Just a forum stalker/BS'er......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    All I've ever done was hang lanterns in trees and wait....lol. NOBODY fishes that way now. Submersible lights are hung below the boat and baits/minnows are fished on the outer edge of the light. Someday I'll get to try it myself again
    Were those lanterns candle power?????? Didn't know if they had white fuel back then????? Propane?????? Did you have matches or just smack a couple rocks to get a spark????? I'm kind of a pioneer history buff and love to hear stories about them days.............. "just funnin ya buddy"
    FISH ON......... inspired by river monsters around the globe.......

Post Thanks / Like

Finally made it to the store to get my floating light. Now only if I wasn't forced to work this weekend. Soon as I get a chance to get out there I will be posting my results!
    Catch Fish Or Die Old Trying!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast