Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knots?

Post Thanks / Like

Default knots?

I usually jig around docks using 2 1/32oz jigs. Lately I've been having a problem tying knots. I usually put them about 18" apart. Sometimes my knots are good. Other times when I pull or put any pressure on the tag from the first jig the line bust. I thought maybe the 4lb. test was the problem but went to 6 with the same problem. I lost some nice slabs in the spring like this. I usually tie improved cinch on both. I just don't know. Any help thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recomend the dropper loop for multiple jigs, here is a link that will show you how to do it. When you tie them this way it doesn't have the stress point a regular knot leaves in the line.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/dropper...matedknots.com
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

When you use the dropper loop do you run the mainline thru the jig eye before you tie it, or do you pinch the loop together and pass it thru the eye and over the jig body? When I use 2 jigs per line now I use a three way swivel with a 6" tag end on top and a 18" on bottom. This works o.k. but is prone to taggle up at times.
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker

Post Thanks / Like

i think you guys are referring to the "palomar knot" which is the best for multiple jig rigs. It leaves leader with it if you tie it right. Here's a link:
    http://www.netknots.com/assets/images/palomar_knot.jpg

the next generation of slabhunters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Stalker
    When you use the dropper loop do you run the mainline thru the jig eye before you tie it, or do you pinch the loop together and pass it thru the eye and over the jig body? When I use 2 jigs per line now I use a three way swivel with a 6" tag end on top and a 18" on bottom. This works o.k. but is prone to taggle up at times.

Once you make the dropper loop, you pinch the loop together and feed it throught the eye of the jigs, that way if you decide to change colors you don't have to retie everything.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishindaddyo
    i think you guys are referring to the "palomar knot" which is the best for multiple jig rigs. It leaves leader with it if you tie it right. Here's a link:
    http://www.netknots.com/assets/images/palomar_knot.jpg
    Agreed, this knot has been proven to be the best knot strenth knot you can use with mono. It is also very easy and fast to tie. I can tie one on in the dark. Also, keep in mind to wet your line before tightening the knot. The dry line rubbing against itself while tightening a knot produces enough heat from friction to significantly weaken your line in and around the knot. You may find that just by spitting on the knot before tightening your problem may be solved.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 09-22-2006 at 02:57 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tied double jigs with the palomar knot but my top jig always seem to stand sideways when I tighten it up. It works but what about presentation?CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys. I think I'm going to start using the polamar knot. Thanks for the replies. Went out this morning with no luck.. 2 more weeks till duck season. :D

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Surgeons knot or double overhand loop are the same they work great for 2 jig or hook rigs, very easy to tie

BIG LEO

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, trying to tie the polamar knot, how in the world do you double up line to form a loop and manage to get it through the eye of a 1/32 oz. jig. I've been trying to do it but i must be doing something wrong. I can't pinch the line between my fingers tight enough to get through the eye of the jig. Am I making it more difficult than it is or do I just stink at it. Took me 1/2 hr to get a doubled line through eye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast