Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Multi-Hook Set Up

Post Thanks / Like

Question Multi-Hook Set Up

Has anyone tried using a multi-hook set up to fish for crappie? Drop a weight below 2-4 hooks on a single line baited with minniows. How many hooks? How successful? Any other tricks?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    Has anyone tried using a multi-hook set up to fish for crappie? Drop a weight below 2-4 hooks on a single line baited with minniows. How many hooks? How successful? Any other tricks?
    I've tried the tandom hookups that eagle claw makes.Cant say that they did me much better than the classic set up.But I do tightlining at night mostly.I think slow trolling this would do you some good as your'e covering more depths with less rods to watch.Good luck with it....E.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino
    Hi Rhino. Greetings from Virginia. Yea, I've tried it but the problem is, when you catch a fish they usually knock all the rest of the minnows off. I never could tell that it was any benefit to fish that way unless you just got a lot of minnows you want to get rid of. LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Ive used the two hook set up a good bit in the winter when im drifting the channels. at the bottom ill put a snap swivel with a 3/4 oz bell sinker then go up about 18 inches and put a jig on a droper line , then go up about 18 more inches and put a hook an another dropper with a minnow attached. sometimes they hit the minnow better then other times they hit the jig best. or you can use two jigs on the two droppers and no minnows.. i dont like to use minnows on both hooks as bill said when you hook one youll usually loose the second minnow. then when im drifting, ill let the lead just kiss the bottom. Its a killer method when they hugging the bottom and its too cold to go at night.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Rango
    Do You Think You Can Catch More At Night Or Day.
    The Craprodder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Fishing

Rango
    The Craprodder

Post Thanks / Like

As a kid fishing on KY Lake we always use the KY Lake Crappie Rig which has two hooks spaced about 12" apart and a big old 3/8 to 1/2 oz lead sinker.

There were times when we caught two crappies at the same time on those old setups. In fact I still have about 15 of them in my tackle box and used one this year to hook into a big 2lb catfish while crappie fishing.

The problem with mutiple open hooks is that you may get more snags too.

I guess that catching a fish on one minnow would or could knock the other minnows of the hook pretty easily. We fished with two minnows at a time for years.

These days I stick with just a single jig or a single #4 hook with a minnow on 6lb test line.

A year before last Nov I fished with two jigs tied about 18" apart on 6lb test line. I tied the first jig on the line with a palomar knot and then use the long tag line to tie the other jig on the same way below the first jig. Then I left a long tag line and attached the sinker to the end of the tag line. I could cover the bottom and 18" above the bottom to 36" above the bottom by keeping the lead weight in contact with the bottom. This can be fished for suspended fish also.

Just think about using a trout line on on the vertical. LOL The fish would not have a chance

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    Ive used the two hook set up a good bit in the winter when im drifting the channels. at the bottom ill put a snap swivel with a 3/4 oz bell sinker then go up about 18 inches and put a jig on a droper line , then go up about 18 more inches and put a hook an another dropper with a minnow attached. sometimes they hit the minnow better then other times they hit the jig best. or you can use two jigs on the two droppers and no minnows.. i dont like to use minnows on both hooks as bill said when you hook one youll usually loose the second minnow. then when im drifting, ill let the lead just kiss the bottom. Its a killer method when they hugging the bottom and its too cold to go at night.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dual line Double Hooker

I use a Jig and Minnow setup alot of times,especially in tournaments.I'll tie a small 1/16th oz. jig at top and use a 12 to 16 inch leader to attach a hook for minnow.I feel this gives a double opportunity.I use this method tightlining straight down.Has proven to be very productive in the past.Hope this helps!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good winter rig

I like the kentucky rig, a bell sinker or walking sinker on the end and a loop with a short 6lb leader and a hook about 18" up and another loop and leader about 18' up from that one. I have tried more but the set up gets hard to handle when it gets longer. This rig is especially good when fish are relating to the bottom. You just let it fall until it stops then crank it up a time or two and troll or vertical fish a brushpile with it. I have caught two at time many times with it :D , you should have the net man net the bottom fish first while you work the top fish into the net. I'll trade two minnows for a good crappie any day. If you notice the fish are hitting the top hook reel up a crank or two. If you are fishing close to the bottom and only catching fish on the bottom hook stop putting minnows on the top hook or cut the leader. I use 3/8 to 1 ounce weights depending on the wind and depth I am fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craprodder
    Rango
    The Craprodder
    I wouldnt turn around for the difference in which method, night or day, will produce more fish. Night fishing i anchor down in one spot and spend the time im on the water there and dont move. Once the lights are put in the water, and theyve had a chance to do their work the fish gather in to feed on the minnows that accumulate around the lights. The fishing is laid back and relaxing, with everyone aboard doing their own thing. daylight fishing is more of a challenge in my opinion as most folks i know move from place to place hunting fish instead of waiting on em to come to them. daylight fishing is more active than night fishing. the guys that know what they are doing will catch a ton of fish, just like the guys that have night fishing down pat will do. throughout the year ill do a good bit of day fishing, trolling in the spring, when fish everywhere is fairly easy to catch, and drifting the channels once the water turns cold and runs the fish to the bottom and are fairly easy to catch again. we done this a lot last year and it was awsome at the fish we caught in areas that dint even show up fish on the recorders. we located three or four spots the fish stayed at consistenty during the cold weather and as soon as i get off these striper at wateree, im gonna start drifting the holes that produced so well last year. some folks will argue the day light is the best and some the night. I say both are very productive to those that have mastered their method,, day or night.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...