Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom-Tom and Shiner: The Crappie Master's Ultimate One Pole Challenge Experience

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tom-Tom and Shiner: The Crappie Master's Ultimate One Pole Challenge Experience

I gotta say in life we definitely learn something everyday, and at least for me, overcoming frustration and finding humility has been one the ultimate challenges of my life especially when it comes to fishing. While fishing the Crappie Masters One Pole Ultimate Challenge over the past week, Tom-Tom and myself were definitely dealt our dose of frustration and humility. While we knew that the competition would be tough, the lake was 10 feet above normal, the guy running the dam didn't know whether to turn it off or on, and learning that we could not use minnows two weeks prior to the tournament, we had our work cut out for us. However, as seasoned veterans with Tom-Tom being a pretty good jig fisherman and me catching several nice fish throughout an entire week of pre-fishing we still expected to do reasonably well considering the conditions.

After heading out early on Thursday for some pre-fishing we soon learned that the majority of the bigger fish were not on the spots where they had been throughout the previous few days. We did catch some fish but they were just a hair under the legal limit. We moved around the lake several times and traveled at least 30 miles or more on Thursday and did find some fish, but as we found them it became extremely too windy to fish those areas. We headed back to the most proven spot we had and continued to catch smaller fish. The neat thing is we didn't find ourselves worried or discontent at all about not having a bit of luck pre-fishing. It seemed as though we were just glad to be off-work and getting to fish together for a few days, and we were able to laugh about the fishing situation.

One other thing we, or at least I, was able to find some humor in was Tom-Tom's sunburn on his legs it was extremely bad. Eventually we took it in and headed to the banquet where were able to mingle with our fishing buddy's and eat a great dinner catered by the restaurant at Bucksaw Marina and Resort. Once we made it back to camp we got to catch up some more and made final preparations for Day 1 of the tournament. After waking Tom-Tom up the next morning was when I had the best laugh of the entire trip. I gotta say Tom did not miss one beat when he walked out of the camper leaned against the truck and said "I tell you what, there is know way I can wear shorts today with this sunburn on my legs, I'm gonna have to wear jeans, there's just know way around it." I proceeded to laugh until my stomach hurt. I also told him there is no way you can wear jeans on those blisters. It was probably one of the worst sunburns I have ever seen.

So, Day 1 of the tournament began for us pretty much like the previous day of fishing, small fish and lots of wind. We stuck it out though not catching many fish at all, and I myself did not catch one fish. Late in the day Tom-Tom did catch one fish about 10 inches we were ecstatic. After another hour or so of stalemate fishing we had no choice but to head in and weigh our one fish, which was impressive tipping the scales at .55lbs. I remember telling Tom-Tom one thing as we headed in, one thing about humility is that, "You don't find humility, humility finds you." Humility had definitely found us! Day 2 was pretty much like the previous two days for us as far catching keeper fish. We did get into some a couple times and Tom-Tom did lose a couple really nice fish right at the boat.

We spent the rest of our time after the tournament tubing and swimming after my wife and daughter came down. As far as the fishing went it was definitely not our day. But I have to say that I wanted to write this story for people out there that might new to crappie fishing or those that find themselves frustrated at times. The bite is something that we can't control. Also, we can learn a lot from crappie fishing or any kind of fishing. For me its about the the people we share the time with, being patient, having humility in our lives, and respecting the sport and the fish. I have to say this will be one of my most memorable fishing trips/tournaments ever not because I didn't catch one fish or that we got last place, but because of what I learned and how good of time we had...

Thanks to everyone for making the sport what it is.....

Take a man fishing and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day....

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

fishing is not always catching.....what counts is you were able to get out on the water and enjoy the time with a good friend
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it was a real tough time fishing. Yep, no-where to go from here except up so at least you all have that going for you. Where's the pictures, at least of those lobster legs! lol

Thanks for sharing. Nice write up.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Shiner....I have one question....How did you keep TomTom from falling out of the boat?
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I too have had days like that, even during a tournament. In fact the last tournament I brought in 2 fish that weighed less than the big fish. But hey, its more about being out on the water.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

practice,practice,practice,and more practice, then go have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom tom may be a decent fisherman, but he can't back a trailer worth a darn!
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    Tom tom may be a decent fisherman, but he can't back a trailer worth a darn!
    ha ha ha.....I heard that too lol........I can't back a trailer good either but billbob said I was 10 times better than Tom Tom, lmao
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

HEY at least he is a GOOD FETCHER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh.....I heard he could net pretty good too
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast