Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New Guy ERRORS!! vertical fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Guy ERRORS!! vertical fishing

Ok what am I doing wrong. I rig up two 12 footers and two 10 footers with double minnie rigs, as per Ohio Law with two fishermen, and drop the bottom minnie to the depth the crappie are suspended, about 16 feet. A junior size spider rig basiclly. Alls good so far, but when I crank on the trolling motor to the lowest speed my lines won't stay down where I need them to be. I let out more line and it doesn't seem to help and I end up with crossed and tangled lines. What am I doing wrong!!

Large6er
    The dumb Rookie

Post Thanks / Like

What size weight and how fast were you going?

Post Thanks / Like

I started with 1/2oz sinkers then went up to 3/4oz. I didn't want to go any heavier because I getting what I thought was a lot of bend in the poles while moving. i was only going according to my power drive remote on a setting of 1 is about .5 mph could be +/- depending on wind and current.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bit confused as to why you'd get more bend in your rods unless the baits were dragging the bottom??? I usually spider rig at about .3 to .4 MPH, if I speed up I don't see my rods bend more but my lines end up not as straight down as I'd like them to be.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I notice in the you tube videos is that the rod tips are about 4 to 8 inchs from the water, it appears. I have the Cabelas quick draw and 360 rod holders and i cant get that kind of setting. It seems with the longer rods if i adjust the holders down a notch the tips are in the waterif I move it up a notch the tips are 2 feet or so above the water. Could it be something as simple as the type of rod holders I have.

Post Thanks / Like

I sent you a pm.