Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lower Osage River fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lower Osage River fishing

Got there about 5:45 am. 3 other rigs already there. Through artificial for about 2 hours before we decided that was enough of that. NO bites at all. Couldn't even get a baby bass to bite. Was throwing jigs, lipless cranks, lipped cranks, beatlespin and nothing. No lm or white bass wanted anything to do with anything we were throwing. So those got put up and got the bait fishing rigs. Tied upstream from a log jam and baited up with crawlers. Cast down in front of logs and waited. All of a sudden 1 of my poles dips and down and wham I got 1. Had it for a few seconds and it was gone. I use circle hooks so it should have stayed on but I guess it wasn't hooked good or it was a gar. A few minutes later pole went down again but this time it stayed on. Had a 4 lb. channel cat. Husband got 1 about 3 lbs. I ended up catching 1 catfish, 1 drum, 1 lm bass and 1 big bluegill. Husband got 2 catfish, 1 drum, 1 sucker, 1 lm bass and 1 bluegill. All on crawlers even the bass. Did get to watch a funny gar. I had a small pole set out for bluegill with a slip bobber on it. This gar came over to it and was looking at the bobber. Ignoring the bait underneath it. He gently grabbed the bottom tube of the bobber and pulled it down and tried to take off with it. I pulled it back and he did it again. He wanted the yellow and orange bobber. Left about 2 because it was hot and the river was getting crazy. When we got home I flipped on the radar and said oops. Glad we left when we did. Storms were along hwy. 50 to Jeff. City and then curled back down the Osage to the lake. I can only imagine the mess trying to get out of St. Thomas ramp with those storms and that place packed. ! bunch put in a big pontoon which I don't know how that fit down the ramp because that ramp seems narrow to me. Plus how they got backed around to get down the ramp because that place was packed.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like my fishing trip this weekend. I went to the lower gasconade, just fishing for whatever would bite, hoping my daughter would get on some good gill fishing... only caught 1 mooneye and a couple of gar. fish just weren't biting for me. still a fun day, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing has been tough for us all year so far. We threw all kinds of stuff for bass but couldn't even get 1 bump. That was really strange. we went there because we got tired of muddy and no fish catching Missouri River.

Post Thanks / Like

It must have been like that everywhere in this part of Missouri anyway. I fished the Meramec river A couple times last week and once this weekend and Nothing bit.
    I did catch two drum on a Flicker chad but nothing on live bait, jigs, spinner baits or tube that I always get bit on there. Hell I though everything but TNT at them.

Post Thanks / Like

We are going to try below Bagnell Saturday morning. We plan on bringing the catfish, crappie, bass, and bow fishing gear so hopefully we can find something that wants to bite or be shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by south point View Post
    sounds like my fishing trip this weekend. I went to the lower gasconade, just fishing for whatever would bite, hoping my daughter would get on some good gill fishing... only caught 1 mooneye and a couple of gar. fish just weren't biting for me. still a fun day, though.
    I can't ever catch squat down there. Troy has pulled some nice fish out I know but I just can't ever make anything happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by st041986 View Post
    I can't ever catch squat down there. Troy has pulled some nice fish out I know but I just can't ever make anything happen.
    I guess it is hit or miss there, but what fishing isn't? good luck at bagnal

Post Thanks / Like

Bagnell was pretty much dead. We threw crappie jigs around a bit and caught a few small crappie and bass. Ran across a school of shad and got a couple dozen in one throw and drifted for catfish and got one small blue about 12" long and that was it.