Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What speed is my trolling motor running

Post Thanks / Like

Default What speed is my trolling motor running

I have a Minn Kota edge 50 lb. thrust mounted on a 16 foot Lowe aluminum boat.I dont have a GPS and I was wondering approximately what speed its moving on number 1 setting.Now be easy on me I know I need to buy a GPS but trying to save enough money to buy a new humminbird with a GPS so hopefully its in my near future.lol

Post Thanks / Like

Find a friend with boat & GPS to boat along side you and check your speeds at several setting in case u want to pull cranks etc so you will have several speeds to try and get a good bite.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a smart phone, download the Navionics app for your phone, it has a gps speed and is pretty accurate when I compared it to my HDS 8 this past Saturday. Its about $10, pretty good app. Cheap gps as well.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Too many variables, without an accurate way to check your speed. The wind, weight of boat/gear/people. Phone app is pretty good idea.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Save the money you plan on using to buy the humminbird, sell the kota edge, buy a minn kota terrova with ipilot. I know its costly but you will love it. Best $$$$ i EVER spent.
    "i only like to fish when i am by myself or with someone"

Post Thanks / Like

There is no way of knowing your speed. It will change as your batteries get weeker, wind directions, current, weight og people and gear in boat. I must constantly adjust my motor through out the day to maintain the same speed.
    The only thing better than a day of fishing.Is a week of fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Without portable electronics, you'll need an accurate map. Find two waypoints you can get to with a boat, that have a straight, direct, and measurable path between them. Google earth is great for this. Find the distance between the two points in miles. Run a direct path between the two with your motor set on 1 while timing your travel. Divide the distance in miles by travel time in seconds and multiply by 3600 to get MPH.

For best results, run the path twice, once in each direction, to average out wind and current.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a smart phone check the apps...... I have a gps speed app i downloaded for free...... I do use my gps graph combos mostly for telling me but downloaded it in case i fish with a buddy who doesent have it....