Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Summer Crank Attempt = Fail

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st Summer Crank Attempt = Fail

Hoping it was just bad luck, but in case it is pure inexperience, here was the scene:

Gear:
    4 poles - 2 14', 2 10'
    8# hi-vis yellow with fast snap attached
    4 Bandits: 1-300, 1-200. 2-100 (all different colors)

Environment:
    700 Acre Lake, 1-3' clarity
    Time: Mid-morning
    Water Temp: 87-90F
    Max Lake Depth: 15'
    Depth trolled, 9' - 14' contours
    Little to no structure away from the shoreline

Used the MK trolling motor and tried various speeds between 1.5 and 2.0 mph. I've pulled some slabs out of this lake in the winter and I know there is good volume. I gave up after 90 minutes of zig zags and went back to catching shellcrackers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    A man remembered never dies.

Post Thanks / Like

Try all 300s different colors and vary line length between 55 and 70ft.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Does this lake show a thermocline layer? You should be targeting the crappie just above the thermocline depth.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Will definitely try a full deep-diving set next time.

In reference to the thermocline, I haven't updated my electronics yet so I'm not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I've found color makes a big difference from one week to the next sometimes. Differences between like a blue back shad to a hot pink. Also, on each run, vary the amount of zigzags and severity will help find what speed they like at the moment. Good luck.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

I don't troll cranks if the lake is black crappie only. They will hit them but nothing like the whites. If there is only black crappie I long line troll southern pro hot grubs 1.0-1.5 mph.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    I don't troll cranks if the lake is black crappie only. They will hit them but nothing like the whites. If there is only black crappie I long line troll southern pro hot grubs 1.0-1.5 mph.
    That is what I was thinking also. The blacks don't suspend over open water like the whites do.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creekslick View Post
    That is what I was thinking also. The blacks don't suspend over open water like the whites do.
    Did not know that. Very good info, although I did buy a few more 300s just to give it another shot. The cranks sure are fun though, I picked up a 2lb largemouth on a different lake today.

I will also try longlining some grubs as mentioned. What size jig heads and how much line out? Is there any preferred combination/guidelines (based on conditions) of colors between the jig heads and the grubs or is it a personal preference in trial and error? Is it alright to connect the jig directly to the fast snap or should it be directly on line? Thanks in advance folks!

Post Thanks / Like

use all 300's like Wilber said and try em at 60,70 and 80 I am just learning this along with you but it works here in MS
    Crappie Logic - (662) 418-2038

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tundah View Post
    I will also try longlining some grubs as mentioned. What size jig heads and how much line out? Is there any preferred combination/guidelines (based on conditions) of colors between the jig heads and the grubs or is it a personal preference in trial and error? Is it alright to connect the jig directly to the fast snap or should it be directly on line? Thanks in advance folks!
    Jig heads anywhere from 1/32oz to 1/8oz depending on the depth. I prefer the larger #2 hooks on my longline jigs because they will get the short strikers. Typically 40' of line out using #6 hi-vis and don't stop the boat if one gets hung. Just grab the spool and it will either come off or break. I tie direct... As far as colors you just have to experiment but I always start with blk/char, red/char (KY killer), & white/char (white lightening) Those three colors I catch 90% of my fish on. On sunny days, something with sparkle helps. If you need to get deeper you can let more line out, slow the boat or add 2 jig heads 18" apart on the same line. Tie the top one like a drop shot..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast