Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum boat leaks ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aluminum boat leaks ?

Does anyone know of a epoxy type undercoating I can spray or paint the bottom of a aluminum boat to stop some leaks?

Post Thanks / Like

I've repaired many boats over the last 35 years and I've never found a paint or epoxy that would last. If it's rivets replace them and if it's cracks weld them.

Post Thanks / Like

Do it right the first time.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Is this something I can do myself or do I have to take it to some type of repair shop?. Don't mean to sound dumb I've just never had an issue like this. And what is the best way to find out which rivet is leaking? I thought about just filling the boat with water and just see where the water leaks out.

Post Thanks / Like

Flex SealŪ - Liquid Rubber Sealant in a Can! | Official Site They put a screen door in the bottom of their boat?? No seriously, have it done right, either welding or new rivets.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chadchester1 View Post
    And what is the best way to find out which rivet is leaking? I thought about just filling the boat with water and just see where the water leaks out.
    Have a buddy with a Tracker TX17 that leaked. He filled it with water & food coloring, then marked the rivets where it was leaking through. Took the floor/console up, took out the foam flotation, and popped the rivets out where it was leaking. Quick fix was to use JB Weld or Knead-it to fill the holes. That worked & kept the boat water worthy for several years. But, he did eventually have a crack develop in the bow, so when he had that welded ... he also had the other spots welded.
    We even had a rivet hole come open on us, while on a 3day trip to Tenn. Temporary fix for that was a SS screw/bolt & rubber washers (luckily it wasn't in line with the trailer skids)

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

My ol 14' Lowe had two rows of rivits leakin. Turned boat over & used fiberglass body repair resin with mesh to seal each rivit. no trailer, drag the boat in and out water. 16 years so far no leaks. fish say it ugly though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chadchester1 View Post
    Is this something I can do myself or do I have to take it to some type of repair shop?. Don't mean to sound dumb I've just never had an issue like this. And what is the best way to find out which rivet is leaking? I thought about just filling the boat with water and just see where the water leaks out.
    With that it sounds like rivets leaking. My dad and I used to "buck" the rivets in my old johnboat with a ball peen hammer and a solid iron piece the size of a soup can. It worked for a season or two at a time, but replacing works best. Shop around to metal shops for the work.
    "There is a Fine line between Fishing and just standing on the shore like an Idiot"

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

What they said but epoxy like JB Weld is brittle and does'nt hold up. A impact will crack the stuff and then you got problems removing it if welding needed later. That stuff will contaminate welds in Aluminum if not completely removed. Best do it right the first time.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go too your local hardware store and ask for Aluminum welding rods!!!! Take a Propane torch!!! Clean the area of paint,oil and grease. Run a bead just like you would weld any other metal run as thick as you need!!! We run jet drives on alumimum boats in our neck of the woods and use this method a lot works!!! If you can't find aluminum welding rods you can use aluminum cans!!!! Hope this helps!!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast