Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you pay attention to moon phases or solunar tables?

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you pay attention to moon phases or solunar tables?

I have charted my catches this year by Date, time, depth, temp, water temp, and conditions. I compared this with the moon phase and the solunar table. If the weather is right I always catch more about 10-12 days before the full moon. The solunars don't seem to be correct. I seem to catch them when they aren't biting according to the solunar table.

just curious if any of you use these charts.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tables

I look at them just out of curiosity, but have never taken them too seriously for fishing. I believe the barametric pressure of a given day has more of an impact on the fish than does the gravitational effects of the moon, etc. Most of the waters we fish aren't large enough to be tidal like the gulf, oceans or the great lakes. Quite the contrary when it comes to hunting, though. I know a guy here that is a very successful whitetail hunter who swears by the moon charts.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Barometric pressure, water temp., water clarity, and cloud cover here.
    Never really paid much attention to the moon.

Post Thanks / Like

Default chart pressure

Bet if you found a website that has the historical data of barametric pressure for the days you've charted, you'll probably find a pattern.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Only during stable weather

But otherwise, weather conditions will trump the solunar calendar every time.
    If we ever get a boat suitable for serious walleye fishing, I'll pay attention to full and new moons since 'eyes are primarily night feeders. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed that three days prior and after the full or new moon has been good over the years, not every time though! Like the others said it all depends on that dang barametric preasure mostly along with quick water rising or lowering and temperature will usualy make for a bad day!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

What would you say is the best pressure or is it best when it is rising or falling?

Should I get a gauge to check?
    What is a good number?
    Last edited by FalconSmitty; 12-09-2004 at 05:11 PM.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been recording moon, air temp, water temp, barometric pressure starting and stopping, winds, water clarity and cloud cover for several years now. Usually if the pressure is falling, they don't bite. But there have been exceptions. I am beginning to believe that light conditions have more to do with it than anything. Or maybe a combination.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the dates when the world records were caugth. You may be surprised how those dates coordinate with the solunar tables you are talking about. I read about this in Outdoor Life, Field and Stream or Fishing Facts Magazines years ago.

Now a lot of the time I don't record my catches as to the time and date and log them but I should.

Now hear lately I take the Solunar Tables out in the boat with me on my Garmin eTrax Vista GPS unit. It's programmed with the Solunar tables according to WHERE I AM FISHING. Remember to make sure that you are using the solunar tables for the area that you are fishing and not from someplace across the globe. That could make a difference. The sun will not be up in the East as late as it will be in the West and vise versa. And if you are down under everything is upside down. Australia that is.

Last time Larry and I fished Patoka Lake together we caught the end of the Solunar table best fishing time and that is when we caught our fish.

Have you ever found a good spot and had times when it just produced fish after fish and then at other times you could not catch a fish for the life of you? Well either the fish stopped biting or they moved or both. But you know the spot is hot at times. Do you go back and fish it all day long or should you look at the solunar tables and fish it when the tables tell you the best times to fish?

I like to look at the tables but I still go fishing even though they don't say it's a good time. Because any day out fishing beats a day at work.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSmitty
    I have charted my catches this year by Date, time, depth, temp, water temp, and conditions. I compared this with the moon phase and the solunar table. If the weather is right I always catch more about 10-12 days before the full moon. The solunars don't seem to be correct. I seem to catch them when they aren't biting according to the solunar table.

just curious if any of you use these charts.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Full Moon, New Moon, and Air Pressure

Full Moon, New Moon Good fishing. Air pressure drops, I fill like crap. Air pressure rises, I feel good. I think the fish feel this air pressure change too and it affects them in the same manner. I think fish like clean clear water
    (it is easier for their gills to filter oxygen). I think fish are like us in many ways. They like warm water on cold days and cool water on hot days, the same as we sapiens. I am speaking of Crappie, not bongos. Nothing scientific here.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast