PDA

View Full Version : Rotator Cuff

Rookie40
06-19-2013, 07:32 PM
I had the procedure this morning to repair the 90 percent tear I had and boy does this suck. There will be no crappie fishing for the foreseeable future. I can think of only one thing I can do and that would be drink beer and watch from the cheap seats. I wouldn't wish this on anyone... Oh wait maybe one but only one!!!!!!! :)

RCC
06-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Hope things are better in the NEAR future. Besides it's summer time and crappie will not bite till next spring anyway.

creekslick
06-19-2013, 09:02 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the worst is yet to come, save your pain meds for physical therapy. Been there

BigRiverMarine
06-19-2013, 09:07 PM
I had the procedure this morning to repair the 90 percent tear I had and boy does this suck. There will be no crappie fishing for the foreseeable future. I can think of only one thing I can do and that would be drink beer and watch from the cheap seats. I wouldn't wish this on anyone... Oh wait maybe one but only one!!!!!!! :)

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Hope ya heal as quickly as possible.

I need plenty of cortisone so I've been told. I'll go get some and loan it to ya!!!! . :)

NIMROD
06-19-2013, 09:10 PM
You got two hands you can still fish!:fish

BigRiverMarine
06-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Hey Rookie, you could learn to fish with your feet, and give seminars on it. Might get filthy rich!!!! We all need a niche!!! Lol

Rookie40
06-19-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the tip creek and Bill I've had four cortisone shots and hope I never have a fifth.

olduckhunter
06-20-2013, 08:35 AM
looks like i have a lot to look forward to. i have tears in both shoulders. see a surgeon next month. don't know when surgery will be.

Rookie40
06-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Make sure they give you good meds. This is the most painful thing I have been through. I cant stress enough to get the nerve block.

Tony McCall
06-20-2013, 09:49 AM
I tore something in my shoulder a couple of years ago, while shooting my bow. I'm not sure what it is but it pops and hurts when I get my shoulder into certain positions. I haven't gone to the doctor because I don't want to have to go through what you are going through... :Doh:

I guess I'm a bigger chicken than you are!

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Rookie40
06-20-2013, 10:00 AM
That's exactly what mine was doing tony. It was hurt but who did it in was a 2 ld crappie on Dardanelle tried to one arm him with a heave janky net on a 16 ft Ozark.

Buckrub
06-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Had this done Jan 23, 2012, by Dr. William Hefley in LR. Best there is. I have four small holes in my shoulder, can't even see 'em. If they lay you open, it's tough recovery. If arthroscopic, it's not bad.

I was on pain pills 7 days. After that, only ibuprofen. First week was a bear, trying to sleep. I was in a sling for ONLY 10 days. I did my therapy RELIGIOUSLY. Exactly as they asked. By April 15, I was fishing.

Takes six months to heal 100%. But my pain is gone, and I feel great. Best choice I ever made.

Rookie40
06-20-2013, 04:35 PM
That's good to hear. I'm hoping to be able to dove hunt and fish at fall camp. It sounds like we had the same procedure so now I'm a little more optimistic. The sleeping is extremely difficult.

Buckrub
06-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Ha. We have a loveseat recliner. Nothing in the middle. Mine was left arm. If I slept on left side, I couldn't get the lever to work to get my feet down to go to bathroom. If I slept on right side, I could work lever, but had nowhere to rest my arm. It was a bad week. But soon forgotten.

ski trip
06-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Hey Rookie,

In my previous life I represented several folks who had rotator cuff surgery. They all had physical therapy prescribed in their recovery. I have seen firsthand that the ones who had the best results and regained the most mobility were the ones who religiously followed the directions and did their physical therapy religiously, and did it properly, even though it was painful. I imagine Creek could give you some firsthand info on this point too. Maybe Steve (luvpt) will chime in here too, as I'm sure he encounters rotator cuff surgery patients daily in his practice. So grit your teeth and tough it out, but do it right and you should be pleased with the results. Someday, it will all be worthwhile to you. By the way, was it your rod holding shoulder? if so, what I said goes double!

Buckrub
06-20-2013, 06:31 PM
What Ski said.

That said, let me give a warning. This is a Rule of Thumb, not some hard and fast info.

Knees? You can work them double hard and get double benefit. Shoulders? Nope. At first, they will have you doing the tiniest little things. You'll think "Man, I need to step this up and get better faster". DO NOT DO IT. Do what they say, the way they say, and no more, and NO LESS. Trust me on this.

But for sure, get it done arthroscopically. If your doc won't do that, change docs. Life is short.

Rookie40
06-20-2013, 07:36 PM
I have the same four holes u spoke of and I can't imagine being cut anymore as bad as this hurts. I really appreciate the info guys and yes it is my dominant hand and I will do what I'm told so I can get back to fishing and hunting. I have about forgotten what it's like to do either one pain free.

RLS
06-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Good advice from all. I got laid open, took four anchors to hold every thing down. Was immobile for six weeks. Whatever you do don't rush it. You should be good to go when the fall run starts!

bigben1
06-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Well I broke the ball of in my shoulder Dec.30 2012 ive done as Dr.and therapist have said and im in such pain that its almost unbearable at times.For some reason its not growing back got 2 plates and 12 screws Dr.said go fishing be good therapy just dont pickup one over 10 lbs. I had a good laugh on that one.

CrappiePro
06-21-2013, 04:30 AM
Take Care of yourself Mark and get back in the ball game there Rookie.

ski trip
06-21-2013, 08:25 AM
What Ski said.

That said, let me give a warning. This is a Rule of Thumb, not some hard and fast info.

Knees? You can work them double hard and get double benefit. Shoulders? Nope. At first, they will have you doing the tiniest little things. You'll think "Man, I need to step this up and get better faster". DO NOT DO IT. Do what they say, the way they say, and no more, and NO LESS. Trust me on this.

But for sure, get it done arthroscopically. If your doc won't do that, change docs. Life is short.

Thanks, Bill, for clearing that up. Didn't mean to say "double on the PT", just meant it is doubly important for him to follow the doctor's and physical therapist's directions if it's his rod holding shoulder. Thanks for the clarification, as I think this is very, very important to ultimate results.

memphislab
06-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Went through the same thing last year about this time. Creekslick gave some excellent advice, save the meds for therapy. Wish u a speedy recovery.

Crappie Greg
06-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Ouch!!! Good luck with your speedy recovery

Hammer Head
07-03-2013, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the info fellas. I'm not gonna get my shoulder checked now.

Rookie40
07-03-2013, 07:15 AM
If it's giving you trouble get it checked like I should have done two years ago. I in true Looser form waited till I tore it and it's been one big pain in the a$$ and the hard part just started.

ski trip
07-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the info fellas. I'm not gonna get my shoulder checked now.

You ought to get it checked. You don't know what's wrong, and it may be something that could be fixed with a simple cortisone shot. Even if surgery is recommended, you don't have to have it, although that might not be the wisest course. But you should get it checked, in my humble opinion.

canebreaker
07-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Years ago my right shoulder started giving me some pain. I went down home to see the doctor in town. He told me to mix 6 ozs. 50/50 water and Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar and cover the taste with local grown honey 3 times a day and drink it. The Bragg's only comes in pints and quarts, I buy a case everytime I go to the store. The local honey I buy by the gallon about once a month. No other problems with the shoulder in 25 years.