Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Smith

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Smith

Wife and I are coming down to Lake Smith to spend our anniversary and bringing the boat. She's going to float around while I fish.

Any advise you can give would be greatly appreciated as I've never fished this lake.

Im set to spider rig, vertical jig or troll cranks.

Thanks!

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Smith Lake is a VERY deep clear mountain lake. I have only fished it a few times for crappie and had almost no luck. There are folks who live near it that have learned to catch fish there. I think they mostly fish around docks and fallen trees and other cover. Thats about all I know.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

Go elsewhere or Bass fish. Trust me I'm looking at it from my balcony.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid I have to agree. Go elsewhere or plan on floating around with your wife. I have lived near and fished Lewis Smith lake for 30 plus years. Crappie are hard to come by there for sure. I have had some luck at times in Lick creek as well as rock creek north of baily's bridge. I have also managed a few near Misty harbor shooting docks. Good luck on the water and with the date night.

Post Thanks / Like

There will probably be too much boat/wave runner action during the day to be able to fish comfortably so I would float around with the wife. I would fish at night and hit the docks with lights.

Post Thanks / Like

The stripe fishing is incredible there though. And that lake does seem to have more recreational boaters on it than most.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're set up for, and good at trolling I would give the cranks a try. Maybe road runners too. I haven't tried either myself but have heard of some folks having success with it in the backs of deep creeks and around points. Also, if you're in to night fishing just find some docks with lights on 'em. They're pretty much guaranteed to have some stripe in them. Getting them to bite is a different story though. Some lights will have crappie in them this time of year too as well as some really big bream.
    P.S. you can get lucky there sometimes. My avatar picture came from there about two years ago. That's my 80 qt. stripe cooler with 70 + slabs caught over a two day span by myself and some buddies.