Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 foot and over Rods, whats your favorite?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 12 foot and over Rods, whats your favorite?

for the new guy on the forum I need some input. For the money ($40 - $75 range) what 12 foot and over rods do you guys like the best and why. Whuppin stick, crappie maxx, B'n'M or any others that are favorites out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I longline most of the time. I use bnm pro staff trollers. I started out with just 2 16'ers and liked them so much I bought 2 8's and 2 12'ers to go with them.
    "i only like to fish when i am by myself or with someone"

Post Thanks / Like

for vertical jigging I like the 11' or 12' Sam Heaton and Crappie Max, for longline or pullin cranks I like BnM pro staff trollers but you need to find what fits your style of fishing .......... a lot of good rods out there good luck in your choice

Post Thanks / Like

B n M PSTs for trolling and spider rigging. Like it has been said before, "get some and don't look back".

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Your choice will depend on what style of fishing you plan on doing with them. Do some research on each one and then make your decision. My personal choice is BNM.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

B n M has three rods that might suit your needs

Pst - the rod has a lot of backbone with decent tip action. I use them for pulling cranks as well as spider rigging. A bunch of folks here in Mississippi use them for cranking and use one of the following rods for rigging.

BGJP - has a good bit of backbone with a nice sensitive tip. Probably falls right here in the middle of these B n M rods for backbone and sensitivity.

Capps and Coleman - extremely sensitive tip but the rod doesn't have much backbone, its like a wet noodle when you pick up a fish with the rod. Buy a long net if you decide on these rods!

I would recommend nothing shorter than 14 footers for spider rigging. Know too many folks, including myself, that started with 12 footers and upgraded to longer rods later to get the baits further away from the boat.

Hope this helps

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

For spider rigging I like the 14 ft. BnM Capps and Colemans.....seldom ever use a net. There is a learning curve to get the rods straight up when landing a fish but it does not take long to get used to it.....it helps to use baitcastting reels with a thumb bar for this. I love them....very sensitive and I do not miss as many bites with them. I use the BnM PST's with line counter reels for pulling crankbaits
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Large6er View Post
    ....what 12 foot and over rods do you guys like the best and why...
    All depends on what kind of fishing you plan on doing.

For spider rigging (pushing), I like the BnM PST-14. I have used the rods to pull crank baits, but I prefer using shorter, stiffer and cheaper rods when pulling. That's just me, for that I use the inexpensive Shakespeare Excursion Med/Heavy 6.6 rod form WallyWorld.

All in all, it's hard to beat the versatility and value of the BnM PST-14's, weather you are a veteran tourney hero or an inexperienced newbie. You can also often find the rods on sale at some of the online stores!

Lots of good fish being caught on a lot of different rigs... Good luck with whatever you choose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by short grub View Post
    for vertical jigging i like the 11' or 12' sam heaton and crappie max, for longline or pullin cranks i like bnm pro staff trollers but you need to find what fits your style of fishing .......... A lot of good rods out there good luck in your choice
    x2
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my BnM 14.3 PST to rig and crank love them rods.
    Balzout Mounts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast