Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Milford 6-17-13

Post Thanks / Like

Default Milford 6-17-13

Another fun morning at Milford Lake. Another first time crappie fisherman buddy today. Caught another couple of dozen, keeping enough for his supper. Biggest one was only 12+" and most were 10-11". Had six rods out, half with jigs, half with minnows. All caught on minnows. Wiper we kept somehow swallowed both hooks while he was destroying three of our rigs. Fished after the rain at sunup til about 10:00. Bite slowed as sun came up at 8:30 or so. Can't seem to make pics appear on first post with my new computer.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Milford hero.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  20.6 KBName:  Milford cleaning station.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  113.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Gents, I forgot to ask the experts a question. I got rushed out of the fish cleaning station by a call from the electrician doing some stuff at my house, but about the time he called, I was cleaning the crappie and found (what I thought were) eggs. Sort of bright yellow sacks. I was poking around on them about the time he called and forgot all about it til I was looking at these pics. Eggs in mid-June? Still really new at this, so maybe it was something else. Been a couple of decades since biology! What was it? Thanks, Brad

Post Thanks / Like

My dad and I were at Milford a couple weeks ago and caught crappie with eggs in them still also. I've never seen them with eggs this late in the year but after seeing that I wouldn't be surprised if some you were catching still had eggs.

Post Thanks / Like

Those were likely eggs. Cleaned a dozen from Hillsdale last week. 11 of them females all with runny eggs. Caught in 15' feet of water on a rocky hump. Probably just some late spawners, or maybe didn't drop all of their eggs?

Post Thanks / Like

Those look good in some hot grease!

Post Thanks / Like

many sunfish, including crappie, develop some eggs all year long but unless water conditions are right they will just reabsorb them.