Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Papa needs a new pair of boots

Post Thanks / Like

Default Papa needs a new pair of boots

Hey guys I in search of some winter fishing boots - I currently have a pair wal-mart water-proof boots that keep my feet warm - but they are very heavy and they leave marks on the deck of my center console boat and my wife cannot stand that (she makes the payments you know) - looking for water-proof, lightweight, non scuffing soles - any reccomendations
    crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I was in the same situation a while back except for the suffing the deck problem. My feet and hands get cold and then I am ready to go back home.

I opted for a 10" high top Wolverine boot that is waterproof and has Thinsulate insulation (800grams)to keep my feet warm. They are made out of leather and are farily heavey compared to my sneakers that I wear all the time. I feel like one of those old navy deep water divers who wear the lead boots to stay on the bottom.

I guess you could go with the short top and the ones that have less insulation in them. Or you might try some of those insulation boot covers that just wrap around your regular fishing shoes. Then you still have the light weight insulation and a light weight shoe that will keep you warm. If I had it to do over again I would go that route.

Sorry I can't help more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    Hey guys I in search of some winter fishing boots - I currently have a pair wal-mart water-proof boots that keep my feet warm - but they are very heavy and they leave marks on the deck of my center console boat and my wife cannot stand that (she makes the payments you know) - looking for water-proof, lightweight, non scuffing soles - any reccomendations
    crap-king
    Regards,

Moose1am

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb CK ...can't guarantee anything, but

you might want to consider wader boots ... the kind they use when wade fishing for trout & such. They have a felt sole (outside) and thus wouldn't scuff the boat finish. And I would have to assume that they are warm, since they're made to wear "underwater" in cold water streams. With nylon socks, then synthetic socks, then wool socks, inside these boots ... your feet should stay fairly warm. Just remember to move them around a little, every now & then, to keep good circulation going in your feet. And remember to wear a warm hat ... it not only keeps your head warm, but serves to keep your feet warm, too. The nylon sock puts a air pocket layer between your skin and the next layer of material ... keeps your feet dry & warm. The next layer of sock should wick away any moisture, and the wool provides a warm air barrier between foot and boot.
    Another thing you can do, is to not put the wading boots on until you get into the boat ... this would prevent picking up anything that would scratch or mar the boat flooring, plus keep it relatively clean.
    I'm sure the boots would cost a pretty penny ... but, cheaper than carpeting the floor of your boat ... or having the lady of the house drydock you. ......luck2ya ......cp

Post Thanks / Like

Moose goes into his closet in the bedroom and pulls out his socking foot wader shoes from the box.

I forgot I had these things. They are held on with velcro straps instead of shoelaces so that you can take them on and off real quick. They are very comfortable and they have the felt soles too. I never thought about using them in the winter time just by themselves. They are made to go over the stocking foots of my neopreme chest waders that I used to go trout fishing.
    My stocking foot waders are about 5mm thick. They are for summertime on cold mountain steams. The type used for duck hunting are much thicker. They are basically a wet suit type material.

As for the socks they make some nice Rockey Type socks that combine materials together in the sock to keep your feet warm and to wick the moisture away from the feet. Mostly they use syntheitics or combination of synthetics and wool to do the moisture wicking. What I do is wear a thin sock made out of polypropylene or some type of poly plastic material. It will not absorb the water at all. In fact these plastic synthetic fibers are water repellant so to speak. The over the top of these real thin socks I wear the thicker rockey socks which also wick the vapor away from the feet.

I use these two pairs of socks in my new wolverine thinsulate books but they should work well in my stocking foot wader shoes also

Now the only thing is that the socking foot wader shoes are not insulated. They don't have any thinsulate in them. So they may not keep your feet very warm. They are simly a thin leather type material that protects the wader's feets.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    you might want to consider wader boots ... the kind they use when wade fishing for trout & such. They have a felt sole (outside) and thus wouldn't scuff the boat finish. And I would have to assume that they are warm, since they're made to wear "underwater" in cold water streams. With nylon socks, then synthetic socks, then wool socks, inside these boots ... your feet should stay fairly warm. Just remember to move them around a little, every now & then, to keep good circulation going in your feet. And remember to wear a warm hat ... it not only keeps your head warm, but serves to keep your feet warm, too. The nylon sock puts a air pocket layer between your skin and the next layer of material ... keeps your feet dry & warm. The next layer of sock should wick away any moisture, and the wool provides a warm air barrier between foot and boot.
    Another thing you can do, is to not put the wading boots on until you get into the boat ... this would prevent picking up anything that would scratch or mar the boat flooring, plus keep it relatively clean.
    I'm sure the boots would cost a pretty penny ... but, cheaper than carpeting the floor of your boat ... or having the lady of the house drydock you. ......luck2ya ......cp
    Regards,

Moose1am

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default boots

I have some artic sheilds. They are space age shoe covers that work great. Makes your feet look like big foot though. But the keep your feet real warm. I slip them over my tennis shoes.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default what kind of money

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    I have some artic sheilds. They are space age shoe covers that work great. Makes your feet look like big foot though. But the keep your feet real warm. I slip them over my tennis shoes.
    how much do the artic shields run?
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

how much do the artic shields run?
    Is this what you are refering to?

Stay out longer in ArcticShield™ gear. A unique layer of REtain -- a multi-layered, heat-resistant thermal barrier-captures and returns up to 97 percent of your body heat.
    These Unisex... More Detail

Price $29.95 Reg. $49.95 Save 40% # 27083

Size available: S, M

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Can you still operate your trolling motor with them?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

crap-king
    Not sure exactly what you want but BPS has some on sale right now.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried neoprene boot liners? My nephew wears them inside his chest waders when we are wading during the winter. I haven't tried the liners yet but I know the neoprene waders made a world of difference when I started wearing them.
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast