Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night fishing problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night fishing problem.

I went night fishing last night at O'neal harbor in Florence, AL. I had a q-beam star fire light I was using. Within an hour my light was surrounded by hundreds of baitfish that had followed in the zooplankton. After fishing for about 4 hours, I didn't catch a single fish. Crappie, catfish, bass, nothing. (My main target was crappie). Any ideas on what I did wrong or what went wrong? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

It could be as simple as didn't wait long enough or needed to be in a different spot. If you like this spot and have caught crappie here then also you can go to the feed store and buy some range cubes to put out before you go or maybe even make a holder out of some PVC, maybe 3" or so and cap both ends. Drill lots of holes and put the range cubes in that and if there is a tree there hang it on that tree. If no tree fine some way to place it there and keep it on spot and if nothing else you will most likely catch catfish, but also a good chance you catch crappie and maybe some other fish as well.

Have been out for that long before and had the bait fish, but nothing biting, it happens. Also been out that long and son out with me in a separate boat, I went home with my wife and he and his wife caught crappie after we left and did well! Sometimes it take more time.

Also don't just fish next to the light, but also out at the edges of the light where it's getting to the darker water.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

OK stupid question. Whats a range cube?
    "There is a Fine line between Fishing and just standing on the shore like an Idiot"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply (a very in-depth one at that!). There are no structures (trees, limbs, etc.). It's rocks and depth. Will have to try your tips out on the next trip!

Thats one of the worst things, not catching fish and doing the exact same thing as someone else who is. Haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha. Killum, I said the same thing to myself so I had to do a quick google search. It looks to be just pellets (roughly the size of a wine cork) that are processed fish food.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by unapokey09 View Post
    Haha. Killum, I said the same thing to myself so I had to do a quick google search. It looks to be just pellets (roughly the size of a wine cork) that are processed fish food.
    Thats what I figured. But if someone doesn't ask many will go away scratching their heads. I'm not afraid to be the dummy. Just not the Crash Test Dummy!
    "There is a Fine line between Fishing and just standing on the shore like an Idiot"

Post Thanks / Like

I have a day fishing problem.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Range cubes are cattle feed. You can buy at feed or farm store. Some fisherman use them for chumming catfish.
    The only thing better than a day of fishing.Is a week of fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

High Bridge Hooker has it right. It's cattle food, but lots of people use it to attract fish via attracting bait fish with the food. You can also put out cotton seed cake for crappie. I believe a lot think it's better for crappie, but I have used both and more at times for both catfish and crappie.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Will this work in a farm pond ? How long will it last ? Do you put it in a sack ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast