Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: depth finder question

Post Thanks / Like

Default depth finder question

what do most of you depth finder gurus keep your sensitivity setting on? i've been told to turn it down to about 50 to find baitfish schools, but i have trouble find some brush piles if it's below 70. any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

not sure what unit you have but I turn mine up for more sensitivity and turn my structure I.D. on. I watch mine pretty close so I also turn the scroll speed up. I could be wrong but thats what seems to work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappiepappy

What depthfinder are you using that has 'structure ID'.

Barry F
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

hummingbird matrix 17 with gps

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abarkley
    what do most of you depth finder gurus keep your sensitivity setting on? i've been told to turn it down to about 50 to find baitfish schools, but i have trouble find some brush piles if it's below 70. any thoughts or comments appreciated.
    Google up Lowrance and download one of their sonar emulators. The emulator lets you practice setting up your sonar. Don't matter what kind of unit you own, they all do (electronically) the same thing. Only difference is the button u push and how u push them.

Keep an eye on the birds. They tell u where bait fish are...
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I have been wondering about this also. I have a matrix 25 and a fishmark 320. I keep the matrix on fish ID with Structure ID. I was hoping to run the 320 with the fish ID off, so if someone can give me their setting for the 320, hopefully I can fine tune from there.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Google up Lowrance and download one of their sonar emulators. The emulator lets you practice setting up your sonar. Don't matter what kind of unit you own, they all do (electronically) the same thing. Only difference is the button u push and how u push them.

Keep an eye on the birds. They tell u where bait fish are...
    I downloaded the simulator, and in my opinion it's far from "real world". I can set that thing any which way, and it still looks great, apply the settings to my unit and get on the water and see nothing but crap on the screen, meaning nothing but clutter. Maybe I can't read my unit and that's the problem?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mduncan62
    I downloaded the simulator, and in my opinion it's far from "real world". I can set that thing any which way, and it still looks great, apply the settings to my unit and get on the water and see nothing but crap on the screen, meaning nothing but clutter. Maybe I can't read my unit and that's the problem?
    Turn your fish ID on. If you still have clutter, the I suspect u have a xducer problem.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I had a clutter problem till i ran my finder and trolling motor on diferent batterys. now its clear as can be

Post Thanks / Like

If your graph has a "Noise Filter" and/or a "Surface Clutter Filter" you'll probably want to set them to or near the upper levels. The higher your sensitivity setting the more electronic "noise" and the more clutter - phytoplankton, bubbles, etc. your graph will pick up. I have the sensitivity on both my Matrix and my Lowrance LCX17m at about 75%.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast