Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line counters?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line counters?

What's the best line counter when it comes to pulling cranks?

Post Thanks / Like

had good exp with okuma's ......we pull cranks for crappie and use them at lake Erie for wallys

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Dont know about the best, but magna pro 15s or 20s do the job just fine and are the cheapest, under 30 bucks.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy what you can afford. When I was buying my 10 Okuma 15s, price was a deal breaker. I have been happy with mine pulling bandits for crappie.

There are several out there that would probably be considered "best" but are much more expensive than Okumas.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep.....hard to beat Okuma MagnaPros......go to NorthwoodsOutlet.net for best price
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought some Okuma Magda Pro 15 for spider rigging. And I will never use any of those other small types of crappie reels again. The Okuma's are great so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    Yep.....hard to beat Okuma MagnaPros......go to NorthwoodsOutlet.net for best price
    wish I would of known this. Could of saved me some money.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some Okuma Magda Pro 20's from NorthwoodsOutlet.net on the recommendation of Dr. Crank (aka majflyboy). They're a little bigger but seem to be better built. Cabelas has some of theirs on sale but I have 2 of them and like the Okuma's better. The Okuma 20's are somewhat bigger than the 15's but I use mine for pulling cranks and spider rigging. If you need any info on pulling cranks, go the Mississippi board and read the sticky on Pulling Cranks 101.
    Thanks dad for teaching me to love crappie fishing!!

Post Thanks / Like

Okuma Magda Pro in the 15 size is perfect for crappie trolling. The Daiwa Sealine line counters have been the gold standard of walleye trolling on the Great Lakes for as long as I can remember. The Shimano Tekota is highly regarded by West Coast fishermen but I haven't had my hands on one personally. If these are your first line counter reels I would recommend the Magda Pros because they're less than$30 and are very easy to service if you have to. Check my old posts for pictures of a teardown if you decide to this route. The drags are adequate out of the box but a coat of Cal's or Shimano drag grease really smooths them up.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Word of advice, the line counter Okumas are not made for casting. Not to say you can't lob a Bandit out a ways to get things started. I've had guys fishing with me who would grab one of the Okumas and try to let 'er rip like you would a regular baitcaster. Not a good result usually.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast