Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Q-Beam StarfireII Underwater Lights...?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Q-Beam StarfireII Underwater Lights...?

I recently purchased one from BPS...noticed that it appears to throw a white light, rather than green, which I've found works better...are there "sleeves" that you can slip over the bulb so it glows green? Also, the package states it throws 250,000 candlepower, but no info on the estimated life of the bulb...anyone have an answer through experience?

Bushrod

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where you could buy a sleave for it but once found, it would work only you would have much less light. White light contains all colors and what you would be doing is filtering out all but the green so most of the light would be dumped and not being used.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Starfires for shrimping. I have some that I have had for 4-5 years and I shrimp a bunch. I have heard from other shrimpers that wrapping it in green saran wrap works very well. Remember not to turn it on until it is in the water.

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two of them. One is new in the package (as a back up) The other, I've had for about three years. I do quite a bit of night fishing, and when I go, I stay an average of about 6-8 hours. My old one is just as good now as the day I bought it.

My humble opinion is that for $18.00 (what they are here at Walmart), you get a decent product. As with anything, you have to take care of it if you expect it to last. I always make sure I have it in water before turning it on, turn it off and let it cool a few minutes before taking it out of the water. Then, I wrap a cloth around the globe then the cord around that for storage.

I'm sure if you abused it and beat it and didn't take care of it, you could break it fairly easily; if not the bulb, then the seal around the bulb.

I don't know of any green sleeve available for them. But, that doesn't mean there isn't one. I LIKE the white light. I like the ability to adjust the depth that I have the light also.

Bottom line, I like the price and effect the light has. I've caught a bunch of fish with them!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them